Problem with reading almost full CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have CD that contains 695MB of data(capacity 700Mb) - two files, small one(29Kb) and big one. My computer (Win2K,512Mb) is unable to read, copy the big file.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong.

Please help, thanks a lot

Blaž

Originally posted by zbukva
I have CD that contains 695MB of data(capacity 700Mb) - two files, small one(29Kb) and big one. My computer (Win2K,512Mb) is unable to read, copy the big file.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong.

Please help, thanks a lot

Blaž

Usually, what this comes down to is a scuffed up CD surface or it was not burned to book standards, which may have thrown your CD-ROM for a loop.

What kind of error are you getting?

Another idea is your hard disk may be full and there's not enough free space the contents of the CD.

Lastly, it could be due to CD protection, however unlikely that may be. Certain protections (Safedisc2 and SecuROM most notably) cannot be read correctly by 100% of the CD-ROMs out there. You may be able to get a firmware update for your CD-ROM from the manufacturer to fix this. Or there might be no fix at all.

As for trouble shooting, try another CD-ROM and clean the CD off well. If it is scratched up, you can buy "repair kits" which don't work very well.. But work sometimes. And there's always the firmware update.

Other than that, there's not much else that can go wrong.

I have enough space on my HD, I guess it was not burned correctly, because i tested the CD on another computer and it was the same story.

Error i was getting had this words in it: .... redundancy, cyclic..., I don't know exactly

Thanks a lot

Zbukva

Originally posted by zbukva
Error i was getting had this words in it: .... redundancy, cyclic..., I don't know exactly
Zbukva

CRC errors are almost always caused by a bad disc. It is either damaged (likely) or somehome messed up in the burning process (rare)

If you can burn the same files onto another disc, try that, see if it reads.

What kind of file is it? Sounds like a VCD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back