Problem with this month's Windows Update

learninmypc

I just got mine today & they installed ok. I rebooted & shortly afterward the MS icon popped up so I clicked on it & allowed it to download what turned out to be 1 more updateMS Updates.JPGMS Updates 2.JPG
Ok, now the icon has re appeared for the 3rd time I think & I am considering ignoring it because I'm thinking it'll do the same thing. My MS updates are set to automatic. Any suggestions? XP Pro MCE is the OS

Ok, I've done that.
Earlier, I went to reboot & on the triple choice,I clicked the middle on to install the one update. It did its thing & shut down. I booted it back up & after a bit, the icon returned. I left for a few hours & upon returning it was gone. I just rebooted again & so far it aint returned but I see the option to install on reboot is still there so I'll try that.

Ok, I did reboot & the triple choice is gone so I'm assuming its ok to change my default browser back?
Thanks for the help,too.

Well, that was short lived. I went back to making SeaMonkey my default & when I went to reboot a bit later, the triple option was back. I clicked on it to install & I thought it did. After restarting my pc, the icon returned.
Am I going to have to leave IE as my default or ???:eek:

Do to one of the updates. Net Frame service pack one not installing it will keep returning. You can stop this by going to windows up date page for xp. Then hiding this update if feel you do not need it. Even after a while with Ie as the default browser it will return if it thinks you need it. Hope this helps.

Do to one of the updates. Net Frame service pack one not installing it will keep returning. You can stop this by going to windows up date page for xp. Then hiding this update if feel you do not need it. Even after a while with Ie as the default browser it will return if it thinks you need it. Hope this helps.
I had thought about that, but preferred hearing it from a more knowledgeable person. Thanks, will do.(y)

Ok, I just used IE to run MS updates & it shows
Download size (total): 0 KB *
Estimated time at your connection speed: 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)
Next idea?

Can you right click on the update. If so it should give you a option to hide it. Also make sure if there is a check mark next to it to uncheck mark it.

If you are still on XP, and I recall you are using an Admin login daily, you will have issues with the default browser settings. I am more paranoid and always use a LUA/UAC limited account and reserve admin for system maintenance. That way setting IE as default under admin has no effect for my LUA/UAC accounts :)

I've moved on to Win/7 and the update process runs elevated nicely, but under XP, I frequently found that MS Update would get different results under the default Administrator account than under a login in the Administrators Group.

Ok, I just used IE to run MS updates & it shows
Download size (total): 0 KB *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)
Next idea?
That's a setting for Install Online vs Download, Notify. Personally, I am very picky and review each and every KB before I allow the download and install. This message says the update is now local and you only need to allow the install.

I've used the triple choiceTriple Choice.JPG twice now,but it still won't install. I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to read & understand what the KB's are. Yes,I'm still on XP Pro MCE.

Go to the actual website for micrsoft updates pages. It should let you hide it there. Go to your startup menu. Look for microsoft updates. Click on this it will take you to the update page for win Xp

Control ->Windows Update
change settings -> (my choice) -> Check but let me choose
check for updates ->(I only have one non-optional)
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/random-stuff/p4718-win-updates.html

click x Important https://www.techspot.com/gallery/random-stuff/p4718-win-update-list.html
(btw: right clicking a line item allow HIDE UPDATE)
select an item and then click More information
and it takes you to the KB Article details, eg http://support.microsoft.com/kb/nnnnn

[edit] LINKS corrected [/edit]

Go to the actual website for micrsoft updates pages. It should let you hide it there. Go to your startup menu. Look for microsoft updates. Click on this it will take you to the update page for win Xp
Using IE is where I got this "Download size (total): 0 KB *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)"
I clicked on Tools>Windows update & clicked on Express.

Control ->Windows Update
change settings -> (my choice) -> Check but let me choose
check for updates ->(I only have one non-optional)
p4718-win-updates.html
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/random-stuff/p4718-win-updates.html[/img]

click x Important
p4719-update-list.html
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/random-stuff/p4719-update-list.html[/img]
(btw: right clicking a line item allow HIDE UPDATE)
select an item and then click More information
and it takes you to the KB Article details, eg http://support.microsoft.com/kb/nnnnn
jobeard, your first 2 links didn't work for me but is this image what you want me to do?Microsoft.JPG

Hmm; they don't work for me either, but they ARE in the photo gallery; grr

yes that's where the options are located on XP
[edit] LINKS corrected above[/edit]

Ok, the 3rd link took me to MS & I had to download it to my desktop but it didn't work either as you see here.Microsoft.JPG

You should be able to go to the Microsoft web page for updates in Xp still. There you can hide the update and it will not keep wanting to you to install it. At least wise you use to be able to do that. This is the only way you can stop Xp updates. Win 7 will let you do it via desktop. Xp won't

You should be able to go to the Microsoft web page for updates in Xp still. There you can hide the update and it will not keep wanting to you to install it. At least wise you use to be able to do that.
But since its already download, will that still apply?

You should be able to go to the Microsoft web page for updates in Xp still. There you can hide the update and it will not keep wanting to you to install it. At least wise you use to be able to do that. This is the only way you can stop Xp updates. Win 7 will let you do it via desktop. Xp won't
  • Can you please tell me how to do that? Using IE, I clicked on Tools> Windows update, clicked on Express & it ran its scan & once it was done, I saw no where to hide it.:confused:

Ok, hopefully the reminder(s) are gone. I again used IE & went to Tools>Windows updates BUT this time I clicked on Custom & after it finished its scan,it gave me the option to hide it which I did. Hopefully this time its taken care of. Thanks for your patience & help.(y)

Glad you found a way to hide it . Sorry I did not get back to you sooner had to go to work.There is a way to on the microsoft update page to but sense you have it already hidden you should be fine. Its been a while sense I used xp. Was trying to remember. You should be able now to set your own browser back to default.

Back