TechSpot

Problem with video card when connecting to HDTV

By Ventress
Dec 8, 2009
  1. I had Geforce 8800 ultra and I used VGA cable to connect it to my HDTV. Well that damn video card broke down and now I have ATI Radeon HD 3870. Problem is that when it's connected to my HDTV it displays as far as when Windows is loading, after that nothing. Does anyone know how I can get this video card working with my TV?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Did you remove the Nvidia drivers before you installed the ATI card?

3. Ventress

Ventress TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

I did uninstall some but I'm not really sure what I can uninstall. I just used Driver Sweeper and deleted Nvidia Display but Nvidia Physx is still installed. Should I uninstall that as well? Uninstalling Nvidia Display didn't solve the problem.

4. Ventress

Well I gave it a try and uninstalled pretty much everything that had Nvidia name on it but the problem prevails. It works with my HDTV when I boot in safe mode.

5. Tmagic650

Now reinstall the ATI drivers from AMD's website... or from the supplied CD if you can't see to get online

6. Ventress

I reinstalled and it didn't work.

7. Ventress

I just checked that my HDTV displays when I'm running a game.

8. Tmagic650

"I just checked that my HDTV displays when I'm running a game"...

...But you still get no video booting into Windows?

9. Ventress

That's right.

10. Ventress

Finally got it working. I had to put the refresh rate to 60. Well I can't change the resolution because then the screen goes black. Seriously if someone is thinking about buying a video card BUY NVIDIA! Fortunately I didn't have to pay for this Radeon crap.

11. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

lol your basing buying an ati card off of a 3 year old video card? thats funny nvidia does not mean its better you just didnt know what you were doing.

12. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,250

A little harsh! You might want to keep an open mind as the way things are panning out nVIDIA is likely going to cede low-end PC graphics to AMD/ATI.

13. Tmagic650

I like Nvidia's chipsets over AMD/ATI's. I used to be an ATI user until Vista was introduced. With Windows 7, Nvidia is the only choice!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.