TechSpot

Problems: Add/Remove Progs; Can't print emails; IE6 doesn't work properly

By johnwey
May 14, 2004
  1. Please help!

1. Nortons Av ran out -- I uninstalled and tried Avast Pro demo
    2. I can't print emails, and when I try Windows Update IE6 goes through the motions, but returns a blank page.
    3. I talk in Avast Forum. They say Nortons needs an extra program to completely remove it.
    4. I get it, run it -- no good.
    5. Then they say to compeltely remove Avast I need an extra program.
    6. I get it, run it -- but no good.
    7. I run RegSupreme, RegClean and RegCleaner.
    8. I run Nortins System Utilities from a CD
    I give up.
    1. I can't print any email (now I copy and laste, drop it into Word, print.
    2. Many URLs, including MS Windows Update, act like they're loading, but return a blank page. To handle that, I install Firefox, but I still can't update Windows
    3. My Add/Remove Programs screen is BLANK, with a single line of 8 point Times type at the top containing all the menu option which normally should be there. I have no idea how to even try to fix this one!
    NOTE: I did this ALL on another computer (Win98SE) and the SAME IDENTICAL THING HAPPENED.
    Over to you,
    Cheers
    John

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot

Check your Internet settings and the Proxy-settings especially.
    When NAV expires, all you need to do is uninstall / reinstall + update and you have another year for free.

Make sure all remnants of both NAV and Avast (never heard of it) are gone before you (re-)install. NAV is a pig to remove, just one pspecial program does not do it. There are about 5-7 web-pages full of instructions at Symantec on how to remove specific versions.

If you want to change AV, go for McAfee, Kaspersky or F-Secure, no more Norton/Symantec.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.