Problems adding new compatible RAM to motherboard

Hey guys this looks like a great forum to find help with my problem.

Well I decided after my computer kept getting the blue screen to upgrade my ram. So according to my mother board which the link to my model is below.

Since Im new I cant post the exact the link.

tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2967768&Sku=M450-2310%20H[/url]..

I can upgrade to two 2gb. Ok so I ordered 2gb Centon which is compatible to PC2-4200, PC2-3200, DDR2-533 and DDR2-400. So according to this its suppose to be compatible unless Im missing something here.

Anyways I took out the old ram which was 1gb and added the new ram. The computer wouldn't start. So I took out the ram and placed in second slot and still the same problem computer wont start. Added the new ram to the empty slot and the original back to its slot. This time my computer went real quickly to the bios screen and went black. Took out the new ram and left the old one on the same slot and obviously the computer started.

I can't figure out for the life of me what the problem is. Do I need to purchase another stick of 1gb so they can match? Is it that 2gb stick wont work on my computer? This is all new to me. Any ideas?

I read on the net and tried the run/msconfig/boot.ini/advanced options and attempted to change MaxMem to the actual 2gb number but it would reset back to 1024. Im all out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All you need to do is copy the text and paste it. I cant post links because i have under 5 posts. I checked the list and it could take 2gb of ram and no more. Thanks

Redirects to tigerdirect's home.
I checked the list and it could take 2gb of ram and no more.
I meant to go to your manufacture's website and check their comparability list, which I would do but maybe i'm too retarded to use a link.

Oh also, i've never heard of Centon, so its probably not on the list.

So you think because of the name brand of the ram that might be the problem?

What I did originally was read the numbers of the ram, punched it in google and found the one which I purchased which is supposedly compatible with my ram.

Max Memory: 2 * 240-pin DIMM Sockets for unbuffered DDR2 400 / 533 SDRAM up to 2 GB

LInk here (needed to add the www etc..)

The Mach Speed site doesn't seem set up for troubleshooting, but they do have support links by the look of it.

A first glance I would say that if I read your first post correctly, that your replacement RAM stick is a single 2Gb module ? if this is correct then it is incompatible with your board which accepts 1Gb density (maximum) RAM sticks (section 1.1 of the motherboards manual). If I misinterpreted your post and the Centon (?) RAM is 2 x 1Gb sticks then you should post their latency and voltage specification (something like 4-4-4-12 1.8v for example) and also check your BIOS to make sure the numbers match the modules rating.

You can also download the motherboard manual from the Mach Speed site link above.
If you can post back with a little more information we can narrow down the problem, whether it's incompatibility, settings or possibly a bad RAM module.

LInk

The machspeed.com/specs/discontinued.htm#p4msd800d2"]Mach Speed site doesn't seem set up for troubleshooting, but they do have support links by the look of it.

A first glance I would say that if I read your first post correctly, that your replacement RAM stick is a single 2Gb module ? if this is correct then it is incompatible with your board which accepts 1Gb density (maximum) RAM sticks (section 1.1 of the motherboards manual). If I misinterpreted your post and the Centon (?) RAM is 2 x 1Gb sticks then you should post their latency and voltage specification (something like 4-4-4-12 1.8v for example) and also check your BIOS to make sure the numbers match the modules rating.

You can also download the motherboard manual from the Mach Speed site link above.
If you can post back with a little more information we can narrow down the problem, whether it's incompatibility, settings or possibly a bad RAM module.

No your right. Its a 2gb stick. So in otherwords I do need another single gb stick of ram. I really appreciate your help! Thanks

Great so I bought another gig a stick of ram installed it and my computer is working. Now though when I visit sites like youtube after 15 minutes my computer freezes. This just started happening after installing the new ram. Any ideas? Thanks

If the lockups happen only with Flash video I'd make sure that the version you are using is up to date. Also try disabling hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash Player console.

Back