Problems backing up Outlook

chewzall

I'm having a problem backing up Outlook in that every time I try to utilize the backup function, it gets halfway through and locks up my machine. I've managed to export the .pst file, but the file size is considerably smaller than the actual file on my machine, so I'm suspecting that all is not right with the exported version. Does Outlook compress files when exported? I'm running Vista and Outlook 2007 on a Dell machine. Dell is suspecting an OS error, and wants to reformat/reinstall, hance the urgency to copy Outlook. Any suggestions?

export each collection separately; Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Email.

Likely it's in the Email and at least you get the personal data exported.

If the inbox is damaged you can use the Office Diagnostics application called scanpst.exe which on
a 64bit it is located C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

or on a 32bit C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
double click on the application and browse to the location of the pst file.

If you received an error message something like this
===========================================================
Errors have been detected in the file <file_path>. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.
===========================================================
This problem occurs because the .pst and the .ost files have a 2 gigabyte (GB) size limitation, and the error message occurs when it is exceeded. The Inbox Repair Tool cannot correct this problem.

checkout support.microsoft.com/kb/296088

Thanks! Had to restore to a previous state, run the file repair tool, and save individually, but got it done...

good to see that you got it fixed, i had a client that had 2gb pst file and had problems with it so i split it to a second file and transfered a large number to that one then added it to outlook allowing the user to search in the main one and the 2nd one.

Back