Problems formatting/reading Sandisk Cruzer 16GB in Win 7

By bobzorn
May 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have similar problem recognizing Sandisk 16 Gb micro cruzer in windows 7 computer. I can see it in disk management but it will not let me format it. I can read other sandisk cruzer drives in this windows 7 computer and the one micro cruzer I can't read in windows 7, I can read in vista and xp computers. I was able to reformat the drive in an xp machine and then I could read it in the windows 7 computer and I could also write to it. However, that only lasted a few days and once again I can no longer read the micro cruzer in windows 7 computer although I can read it in other computers ( vista and xp). Any thoughts or suggestions. Oh yes I have other sandisk micro cruzers that read and write fine in my windows 7 computer. I am running the release candidate version 7100 of windows 7 from May 5th and it does update fine.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,291   +227

The only reason you should be formatting a flash drive is to change the filesystem type.

It seems odd that the drive works fine in other OSes, so I don't have any real advice. I wouldn't get too stressed about it since the problem is happening only in a OS that is really still a beta.
  3. bobzorn

bobzorn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I really am not stressed just wondering what could cause the problem and if it was due to windows 7. Another friend also had a problem reading sandisk cruzer drive in his windows 7 computer. Windows 7 has been rock steady and I really like it. Only real problem I observed is the issue with finger drive.

I tried today to refresh explorer and the OS suggested I reboot the computer. I left the finger drive in the computer and did a reboot. Lo and behold windows explorer now was reading the sandisk finger drive. Everythinig working once again. Advice is if you are having a problem with windows 7 and finger drive, try a reboot.

Also I would like to alert people to the fact that I had a working finger drive and when using windows 7 I had a problem. To try and make it work I tried to assign it a drive letter in disk management and by my error I hit "simple drive". What that did was overwrite the boot record on the flash drive and now I couldn't see the finger drive in any computer. I was able to recover all the files on the finger drive using R-Studio which I highly recommend - it worked in windows 7. I then needed to format the finger drive to get it to work again. I could not format the drive on the window 7 machine so I formatted it on my windows XP machine. I then was able to read the drive in my windows 7 machine and I loaded all the restored programs on it and everything was working fine until yesterday when I could no longer see the drive on my windows 7 machine. Once again my fault as all I needed to do was reboot with the finger drive connected.

I am just trying to share some of my experiences with the Sandisk cruzer and windows 7 operations. Yes it does work but you have to be careful and alert when using it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.