Status
Not open for further replies.

sehana

problems viewing some webpages

Built PC [BPC1] & PC1 & PC2 & laptop [LP1]
etrust internet security suite 2006
browser: CrazyBrowser [ crazybrowser.com ]
BPC1 uses Ethernet Cable to the router
PC1 & PC2 is wirelessly connected to same router.
laptop is not on same network.

no settings have been changed, happening for about 3-4 days now and it's really starting to bug me.

Some webpages are fine while others load really slow and when loaded, page view is really messed up. text properties are wrong, images don't show up & everything is in the wrong places. menu navigation is all over the place. it happenned before i started building BPC1.

some of the web pages that have problems. includes sub-pages also.
newegg.com
cnet.com
us.gamespot.com

These pages also have problems on PC1 & PC2.
all same security program
all same browser

sorry i forgot to mention that
crazybrowser is just the main one that i use. but i have tried it on IE, firefox & slimbrowser. same results.

So the only common element is the router and the Internet connection ?

1.Download Dan Elwell`s broadband speed test.HERE
That will tell you whether there is any obvious problem
with the connection.(Ping times,download speeds)

2.Try another router or modem.

3.Something else.

grrrrrr; it's not in the hardware! this is usually found to be plug-in and/or theme
related software added to the brower(s).

cnet.com is using a FLASH presentation; uninstall your flash plugin; reboot;
try cnet.com again -- you'll get the presentation w/o the flash, but the page
should display correctly w/o it.

Have you got more than one firewall running? - this could have started since an automatic update to your security. Try back pedalling using system restore to before it started and if that fixes it, work forward from there.

DISAGREE! Don't use a brute force technique until you've exhausted the simpler approaches.

Sorry - not with you on that one as the System restore is not destructive - at least there is a fighting chance of fixing the problem instead of the symptoms!

grrr; restore will not change the browser plugins. It takes a back dated copy
of the registry and overlays the existing one --
it is not the same thing as a backup which restores files. forcing the registry to
some previous date is a brutal way to uninstall software but leave all the files in place.

again; use simple direct configuration changes first and then use more desperate means.

thanks for the responses
so here's whats up so far
while trying to figure things out yesterday, i ran into somewhat another problem, more so annoyance.
my middle mouse button stopped working as in to open pages in another window/tab. all browsers kept closing or would freeze.

i changed my firewall to the windows firewall. and i thought it worked, but then it went to exploded web pages again after about a minute or so.
so i reverted back to using etrust.
well i talked to my husband [cuz he is out of country at the moment] and he has the laptop with him and says that his is working fine.
so i asked my husband what his etrust setting are and all the browsers which took a long time to do. but they are exactly the same.
so what does it come down to?
newegg & cnet would work once in a while, but then go back to problematic viewing, but gamespot is continually having problems showing up.
any thoughts?

You kindly thanked us for the responses,but did you try any suggestions.:)

Jobeard angrily suggested uninstalling the Flash plugin,for instance .See how HERE

You can easily reinstall it,from same site.

oh i'm sorry i forgot to include that
i have did the broadband test. and the results seem to be in the general area of where the blue bars percentages are. and the download speeds are full.
for the flash part. i tried to view the web page of how to un-install it, but i can't view that site either.
so i did a system restore, that fixed my middle mouse button, but not the web pages.

no I'm not angry; just don't like over reaction, eg
>so i did a system restore, that fixed my middle mouse button, but not the web pages.

so it's not in the registry and not in the firewall -- it's web page content and or
browser settings (like I said)

if any webpage displays correctly, then the tcp connection and the firewall are just fine.
If a specific site or a page on a specific site is fouled, then it's totaly within the
browser.

get a good host file
it belongs in \windows\system32\drivers\etc as HOSTS

get Spywareblaster from this site

install and update it immediately and thence monthly to
control bad ActiveX components.

Specifically which browser(s) are you using? you need to (for each)
empty the cache,
delete all plugins
and then close the browser

when all have been cleaned, reboot the system and try your default browser
on this link
and then this one

now you can add plugins one at a time to get the content as intended.

hum; why are you using crazybrowser.com? There's nothing here that isn't found
elsewhere with reputable browsers that
have been available for many years and have good support and thousands of users.
Highly recommend you stick with the major browsers, eg: Firefox, Opera, or even IE.

ok i did the host thing
and the spyware blaster.
i emptied the cache and disabled all the plugins and restarted...
the results... unchanged
any suggestions?

i mainly use crazybrowser because of it's simplicity i guess. i don't use all the plug-ins and fancy skins. i don't use firefox because it doesn't show my web pages correctly like i want them to. i use IE sometimes but the tabs to me are way too big. i tried opera before but i didn't like it. so i just stuck with crazy browser. slimbrowser is much like crazyb, but loads a little slower.

please cite a complete URL to a page that fails and report the portion of the
display that is fouled up.
I'll look into the webpage source to determine what is being attempted by the page designer

for the site www.newegg.com,
the images are coming from images10.newegg.com

this might be considered as a form of cross-site scripting.

check your browser options for loading images from ALL sites, not just the originating site.

mercy! the web source is clean and your screenshots (a great help) clearly
showes the graphics were; a) not delivered to your browser or b) were denied
by some local filter on your pc. *if* all of your browsers behave the same way
for the same site, then look for some url filter -- perhaps in your router?

Sorry, but I've reach the end of my resources without getting my hands on the
machine itself.

Best wishes,
Jeff

thanks for your help.

i'm so frustrated cuz i ordered my PC parts from newegg on the 13th and was fine up until about the 25/26. and then before i built the PC those web pages decided to stop loading. and i'm s'posed to be lookin at other pc stuff, but i can't do that with newegg not working. i'm having sooo many problems right now that i can't seem to fix?!

i've even considered re-doing the whole built pc and starting from scratch, but then thought that it couldn't be the problem cuz all the other PC are doing the same thing.

*sigh*

You have an interesting and unusual problem !

That must make you feel really special :unch:

My only comment is that you swap the router.

I can`t imagine why that would help,but these

are desperate times.Will keep thinking.

yea i think changing the router is my only option. but i don't really know any1 who has adsl modems, only usb modems.

ha ha at this point, it sucks to be special. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back