TechSpot

Processor advice, AMD 4000+ worth it?

By james_k1988
Aug 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey there,

My current Spec is in my sig (apart from i no longer have 3g of ram, having problems and just running on 1g atm). I will be looking to upgrade in the near future, i was going to save up my money and mybye get a duo or something at xmas when they will have went down a bit in price. But i Noticed Overclockers.co.uk are doing a AMD 64 4000+ San Diego for a good price(£90). Ive been told many a time how the AMD 4000+ is a very good processor for gaming and since my birthday is coming up i figured i might just ask for one of these (cant ask for anything TO pricey).

But what i really wanna know is will it give me much more performance that i have just now? My system is kinda bottlenecked by my CPU atm and i'm curious if this processor will help out.

As for the games i play, pretty much anything, especially MOH (which is OpenGl, which i think stresses the CPU?) and the processor i have just now can handle MOST games on high spec but it tends to fall in spots.

I also had a m8 who claimed that with this processor you can record yourself (with FRAPS for example, a demanding tool) and not experiance any performance decrease. He may have been lying as i never saw this for myself, let me know if you have an idea on this one ;)

Anyways i just wanna know if it would be worth upgrading, remembering that i cannot overclock the CPU with this current motherboard. A long story short, its a prick, and MSI removed the overclocking feature.

Ive seen alot of ppl on here with the same processor so mybye you guys can give me some idea of how it performs :D

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

You might be better off just getting an overclockable MoBo because then you can probably overclock your CPU to past 4000+ speeds and when you need a new CPU you can just get a X2 4800+.
  3. james_k1988

james_k1988 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 290

but clock speed isnt everything. But is that the only difference bewtween the 3200 and the 4000? I think they have different amounts of L1 and L2 cache, would that yield a big boost in performance?
  4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

The larger L2 cache would yield slightly bettr performance but if you managed to get the 3200+ to about 2.6 ghz (which is VERY easy if it has a venice core) or so it would more than make up for the extra L2. Also... it would be much better to get a Athlon 64 X2 like the 4000+X2 or the 4200+ X@ than to stay single core (unless you want to get a FX57 :p).
  5. james_k1988

james_k1988 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 290

so thats the 4000+ out the window then lol well from wat ive been hearing the new intel duo2 processors rip the AMD ones apart, even the fx-62. And although i am personally a AMD fan but if these new processors are the buisness i might just save up and get one of those at xmas. Unless AMD releases something to counter it

(and yea it is a Venice core but i cant do anything with it. I cant even used programs within the OS to do it. MSi came with something called digicell but whenever i attempt to use it the pc restarts. And im also having problems getting this motherboard to run dual channel, restarts EVERY time and cant find a soloution. I think i might just aim for a new board but ill need to decide what processor i wanna go for first)

And i was considering getting a FX-57 at xmas :p , or mybye a FX-60 if it would be worth it. But theres no AM2 socket versions yet so couldnt use DDR2 and i dont know how they perform. Plus again the duo2 is meant to smoke the fx range out the water :s
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.