Professional Overwatch player kicked from team, quits eSports after racist rant during...

midian182

Staff member

A professional Overwatch player has destroyed his career and quit the eSports scene after he repeatedly shouted a racist slur for around 30 seconds during a ranked match. It seems (now former) Toronto Esports player Matt “Dellor” Vaughn didn’t realize the game was being streamed on Twitch. The incident, which you can view at the bottom of this page, was captured and uploaded to YouTube. Be warned: it’s pretty loud and offensive, obviously.

As a result of his tirade, 28-year-old Vaughn has been “released” from the Toronto Esports team due to a breach of contract. "We have always had a zero tolerance policy for any forms of discrimination," it said.

Vaughn’s Twitch channel has also been closed for breaching the streaming site's terms of service. The player blamed his actions on the fact he was having a bad day, didn’t get much sleep, Twitch wasn’t working, his internet was lagging, and the person playing as Widowmaker during the game in question was “blatantly cheating.”

"I've dealt with cheaters before, but with him and his entire team, and my entire team start talking sh*t, it gets to me. I snapped. This isn't the first time this has happened. I have anger problems.”

Vaughn added that despite his repeated use of the word, he is not a racist and was just using the most offensive term that came to his mind. “I fu**ed up and deserve to be dropped from Toronto Esports, I won't try to argue or make an excuse, I don't have any,” he wrote.

It seems Vaughn won’t be playing for another pro team, even if there was one out there willing to give him an opportunity. He’s announced that he’s quitting the eSports scene and has no intention of ever returning.

"I've destroyed too many things and hurt too many people in my life because of my personality," he said. "I'm going to the doctor and I'm going to try to get help. Hopefully I will become a better and happier person."

Permalink to story.

As I was saying yesterday - yeah, I dont play MP games, this is just one of the examples why. Not the racist stuff just whining overall. People cant deal with other players being much better, hes 28 and hes acting like a kid, its a serious psychological problem that needs to be treated by professionals. Btw, kids are even worse. Single player all the way.

Extremely offensive? That meltdown was hilarious.

That having been said...this is hardly racist. Literally everyone on COD drops n-bombs, c-bombs, f-bombs, and every other "offensive" term imaginable when someone pisses them off. I've heard 12 year olds do worse than this for the lulz.

Fake news.

I do see why he's a career gamer, though. Normal folk tend to demand a level of social intelligence slightly above Asperger's.

It's just a rant, like someone said already a hilarious one and it's extremely common in anything that is competitive, not only esports.

Anything that passions someone can get this type of reactions.

Maybe he should have got a real job from the outset. Better late than never though. If I was the player he was verbally abusing, I wouldn't have been offended, instead I would've felt a great sense of satisfaction knowing that I was really getting under his skin and making him lose his temper, thereby making play like an absolute noob, making him even more frustrated.

He's not quitting he's going to buy a new account and hide behind a vpn. kid sounds like he has some dark spots in his life though. I think he needs to go out and find some women or something heh. in light of this I can't wait for voice chat to be added to paladins. gonna be fun.

Extremely offensive? That meltdown was hilarious.

That having been said...this is hardly racist. Literally everyone on COD drops n-bombs, c-bombs, f-bombs, and every other "offensive" term imaginable when someone pisses them off. I've heard 12 year olds do worse than this for the lulz.

Fake news.

I do see why he's a career gamer, though. Normal folk tend to demand a level of social intelligence slightly above Asperger's.
I'm not black but an n-bomb would be considered offensive. C-bomb and f-bomb no problem, nothing racist about that.

He needs to learn to control that anger, its easy to cuss at people across an internet connection, but if he does't get it under control, he's going to n-bomb the wrong person and get shot.

He's already blown his career as a gamer, now you gotta get a real job and should probably learn to have respect for other people, even if you're having a bad day.

As I was saying yesterday - yeah, I dont play MP games, this is just one of the examples why. Not the racist stuff just whining overall. People cant deal with other players being much better, hes 28 and hes acting like a kid, its a serious psychological problem that needs to be treated by professionals. Btw, kids are even worse. Single player all the way.
Whines about mp games cause people whine too much in them LOL

He's not quitting he's going to buy a new account and hide behind a vpn. kid sounds like he has some dark spots in his life though. I think he needs to go out and find some women or something heh. in light of this I can't wait for voice chat to be added to paladins. gonna be fun.

He is going to need a device to change the sound of his voice because a VPN and new account won't fix that.

Maybe he should have got a real job from the outset. Better late than never though. If I was the player he was verbally abusing, I wouldn't have been offended, instead I would've felt a great sense of satisfaction knowing that I was really getting under his skin and making him lose his temper, thereby making play like an absolute noob, making him even more frustrated.
"Maybe he should have got a real job from the outset."
Pro esport players have a real job. You are not a 90yo grandpa so you should perfectly know just how big the industry is. (although in this case we are talking about a small team and he was a sub)

Last edited:
he's not quitting gaming. he's quitting his esports career. you can't use a VPN to fake that :D

Checkmate:

I'm not black but an n-bomb would be considered offensive. C-bomb and f-bomb no problem, nothing racist about that.

He needs to learn to control that anger, its easy to cuss at people across an internet connection, but if he does't get it under control, he's going to n-bomb the wrong person and get shot.
he's going to n-bomb the wrong person and get shot.

You know what's more racist than dropping an n-bomb in Overwatch?

Implying that black people have such little regard for life that they will kill you for dropping n-bombs.

Whines about mp games cause people whine too much in them LOL

Yes, I`m whining about what MP experience have become. I`ve been around it for the last 15 years and its much, much different today. This is just perfect example of that and there are thousands of people like this guy everyday.

Yes, I`m whining about what MP experience have become. I`ve been around it for the last 15 years and its much, much different today. This is just perfect example of that and there are thousands of people like this guy everyday.

Valid point. There is a night and day difference between game rooms in the early 00's vs today. Civility is all but gone if you aren't in a clan with a standard of conduct.

He is going to need a device to change the sound of his voice because a VPN and new account won't fix that.
voices don't mean anything with the amount of people that exist. a simple vpn or a switch of his nic card and a new moden along with a new username would be almost good enough. hopefully he is a clean shaven man and grow a burly beard and change his hairstyle to accommodate. it can be done fairly easily if all the pieces are in place.

Checkmate:

he's going to n-bomb the wrong person and get shot.

You know what's more racist than dropping an n-bomb in Overwatch?

Implying that black people have such little regard for life that they will kill you for dropping n-bombs.
He said "the wrong person", not "any black person". Are you suggesting there aren't black people with "such little regard for life that they will kill you for dropping n-bombs"? There are white people who'd kill you for less (that applied to them) too.

I'm just shocked that this was the best swearing he could come up with. Must have lived a sheltered life

Back