Project CARS for PC will include option to run at 12K resolution

Shawn Knight

Staff member

game officially runs resolution sli gpu gaming crossfire graphics card gta v 4k monitor project cars 12 resolution

If you thought the hardware requirements to run Grand Theft Auto V in 4K at 60 frames per second were daunting, wait until you get a load of Project CARS. It was recently revealed that the upcoming racer will support a resolution up to 12K (11,520 x 2,160) on PC.

Obviously, 12K monitors don’t exist yet so you’ll need a trio of 4K monitors arranged side-by-side-by-side for the absolute best visual (and immersive) experience.

If you recall, the game was on display at last year’s CES and E3 events running this very configuration. While it appears to run smoothly in this video from Maximum PC, the machine needed to push it was astronomically powerful with four watercooled Nvidia Titan graphics cards, 64GB of RAM and an Intel Ivy Bridge-E CPU.

Such a configuration would likely cost at least $10,000 – well out of the range of all but the most hardcore (and wealthy) gaming enthusiasts. That said, the real question then becomes how long it will take before hardware matures enough to run 12K on a single graphics card.

Project CARS is expected to launch on most platforms in early May and looks to give both Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo some serious competition.

Permalink to story.

Ahhhhh... 11,520 x 2,160
When I saw this yesterday I was thinking one 12K monitor! D'oh! I hope this game is good, I need a good racer.

It would be nice to be able to pause the game and fly a camera around the scene so you can really stop and get a feel for how fast that computer is running. But it's quite remarkable. Can't wait until I can strap 24.8M pixels to my face, but for now this 12K display will do.

11,520 x 2,160 isn't 12K, not even close. To make even an 8K screen you need 4 x 4K screens, and they got only 3 x 4K screens, which corresponds to exactly 6K in the amount of pixels, if you can count.

11,520 x 2,160 isn't 12K, not even close. To make even an 8K screen you need 4 x 4K screens, and they got only 3 x 4K screens, which corresponds to exactly 6K in the amount of pixels, if you can count.
4K represents the width, not a combination of width and height. 4K is a rounded figure of how wide the pixel count is for 16:9 ratio. The same for 8K, 8000 pixels wide with a ration of 16:9. The only thing keeping this from being viewed as 12K is the ratio of 16:9, lacking in height. But the width is 12K, if you can count.

This is truly insane, I don't even have a 4K display yet. And I hear 5K, 8K and now 12K resolution. What's next 14k or 18k? Bloody hell, technology is moving so damn fast, that's proving a real challenge to keep up with.

I disagree with the argument that 12,000 pixels across makes it a 12K resolution. If that were the case I could DSR up to 12,000x100 and still consider that 12K - and I bet I could game at that res with a good refresh rate (and no real visibility.) As VitalyT said, this isn't even as many pixels as 8K being only 3/4 that number. It would take 9 of these monitors in a 3x3 grid array to truly equal a 12K resolution. This is the type of confusion that makes me wish people didn't use the terms 2K, 4K, 5K, etc.

A more accurate discription of this setup would be 4K Surround IMO and even more accurate would be UHD Surround..

4K represents the width, not a combination of width and height. 4K is a rounded figure of how wide the pixel count is for 16:9 ratio. The same for 8K, 8000 pixels wide with a ration of 16:9. The only thing keeping this from being viewed as 12K is the ratio of 16:9, lacking in height. But the width is 12K, if you can count.
Ok, so I can take twenty "normal" 1K monitors (1920x1080), arrange them in a circle around me and call it 20K resolution then? The ridiculous things people come up with just to make a headline and make their product sound impressive. It's almost as bad as how hard drive manufacturers like to round down gigabytes and terabytes, and suddenly your 1TB drive becomes 1,000,000,000,000 bytes when in reality that's only 0.931TB.

It's almost as bad as how hard drive manufacturers like to round down gigabytes and terabytes, and suddenly your 1TB drive becomes 1,000,000,000,000 bytes when in reality that's only 0.931TB.
I couldn't agree more, but it is what it is.

I personally attended the E3 event last year. The gpus in the system they used for the 4K surround demo definitely were NOT watercooled. And the TVs they used were only 30 Hz and Project CARS was probably running only on medium settings. 4K surround is truly a beast and is beyond us until 2020 at least.

I agree with Guest, I think we'll be able to run all this, on a single graphics card, in 5 years.

Lol...toward the end the guy in the video says, "Suck it consoles!" I have a PS4, X1, and Wii U, but I still thought it was funny.

Lol...toward the end the guy in the video says, "Suck it consoles!" I have a PS4, X1, and Wii U, but I still thought it was funny.

The only reason I am going to buy this game on PC is because I can't afford to buy a thrustmaster wheel for the PS4,so my DFGT will have to do for now.

That's 3x4K, which is smaller than 8K. I am getting fed up with these morons calling 4K Eyefinity "12K".

Ok, so I can take twenty "normal" 1K monitors (1920x1080), arrange them in a circle around me and call it 20K resolution then? The ridiculous things people come up with just to make a headline and make their product sound impressive. It's almost as bad as how hard drive manufacturers like to round down gigabytes and terabytes, and suddenly your 1TB drive becomes 1,000,000,000,000 bytes when in reality that's only 0.931TB.

Haha thank you! 4K means 3840x2160. Period.

The only reason I am going to buy this game on PC is because I can't afford to buy a thrustmaster wheel for the PS4,so my DFGT will have to do for now.
I'll definitely be getting this on PC...along with a new video card.

Meh to the whole multi monitor gaming... Never liked it. VR headset is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Plus the requirements are not as extreme.

Haha thank you! 4K means 3840x2160. Period.

Well that all depends on who you ask, these terminologies are constantly being misinterpreted, "A 4K resolution, as defined by Digital Cinema Initiatives, is 4096 x 2160 pixels"..."DCI 4K should not be confused with ultra-high-definition television (UHDTV) AKA "UHD-1", which has a resolution of 3840 x 2160" which is what most people think of resolution wise when referring to 4K. But then you have this "4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels." So given that statement 12k could theoretically be represented by 3x4k, however really it should be called UHD Surround due to the fact that the so called 4K displays are truly UHD and not 4K by DCI'd definition. Thus proving that the industry needs to get their **** together and actually use the right terminologies where appropriate and not thrown BS statements around for publicity purposes...

IEC & ISO say that 1,000,000,000,000 bytes IS a TB and that 1,099,511,627,776 bytes is a TiB. That was changed a while ago but most still use KB, MB and GB for binary even though it is really only used for RAM now (and even JEDEC says the use has been deprecated).

Yeah I am sick now of seeing these claims to 8k, 10k and 12k when non of them are! 12k is 12x the rsolution of 1k (1920x1080) regardless of what tech sites claim that is not just 12x the horizontal pixel count

Meh to the whole multi monitor gaming... Never liked it. VR headset is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. Plus the requirements are not as extreme.

tbh there is a time and place for them both. I love multi monitor gaming when a game truly supports it with some imagination and not sure stretching the game across multiple displays. Take for example Supreme commander where extra monitors show large map information and tactical data thats cool. With VR though I can only comment in respect to the DK2 not all games are suited to this and the clarity still isn't there for other apps. I have played many VR games, things like HL2 a very good and you do feel like you are upclose with them (though all the ai chars need to eat some burgers they are well skinny) and Virtual Desktop is great for playing non vr games on a huuuuuuuuuuuuge screen (12k pah virtual desktop on the rift is like playing on a 100k screen). One problem though with vr still is the clarity, looking at a screen so close you notice the "screen door" effect and you don't get any sort of AA. Next its the viewing angle that needs work as you look left and right you see black funnels almost like looking through a pair of binoculars.

Yeah I am sick now of seeing these claims to 8k, 10k and 12k when non of them are! 12k is 12x the rsolution of 1k (1920x1080) regardless of what tech sites claim that is not just 12x the horizontal pixel count
  • Firstly 1920x1080 would be 2K not 1K. You should be looking at the width 1920 for 2K not 1080 which is the height.
  • Secondly 12K is not 12x the pixel count of 1920 on any front (width, height, or total). 12K is 6x the width and height, which makes 36x the total pixel count.

Back