Proper steps to install a 8600gt graphic card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vallarta

reading conflicting info on installing the graphics card
info for the mb says the onboard graphics doesn't have to be uninstalled
the manual for the graphics card says to disable onboard graphics
should i install the drivers 1st then the card since it crashed without disabling
i have the manual for the mb and can follow the path to disable ob but can't remember the command to get into bios, it's been awhile
if i install the drivers 1st,then the card, will it allow me to uninstall the ob in system info, b4 i reboot

1. Motherboard - ecs RS480-M
2. Graphic interface - EV3A e-GeForce 8600GT PCI-e
3. Memory - 1.46 Gb
4. CPU - AMD Athalon64 3200+
5. CPU Speed - 2GHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - Enermax ATX 12v v2.0
7. Watt output/Amperage - 420w 29A

been doing a lot of reading and would like to know the proper order since the 1st attempt failed and it took forever to get the config back
received a 22" samsung syncmaster 2232gw for xmas and would like to do some video and gaming
any help would be appreciated

When installing video cards, it is very important that you follow the correct procedure, as outlined below. Incorrectly installed drivers will cause just as much trouble as faulty drivers. Definately disable onboard graphics. Then:

1. Uninstall any video drivers you currently have, through Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
2. Restart your system, and boot into VGA Mode (tap F8 while the system is starting, and select VGA Mode from the list).
3. Disable any antivirus programs you have.
4. Install the new drivers.
5. Restart your system again.

While not absolutely necessary, using a program such as Driver Cleaner here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
when removing the old drivers is also a good idea.

thanks for the info
i will follow the order u suggest
been reading about issues with ob graphics
the link u sent should solve that problem
i had to redo the display settings last time and it took forever
it may take a while,i'm fairly green at this but i'll post the results

You uninstall the old video drivers, and shutdown. Then you install the new video card and boot in VGA mode.

i didn't use the driver cleaner , couldn't access it in safe mode, the icons were too large and it wasn't in program files
the install went great with a couple of issues
unstalling the antivirus in the program file wiped it out and had to download from the provider shaw (secure) and took over 1hr
they did something with the download speed 2 mo. ago(looking for a new internet provider)
monitor program magic tune conflicts with nvidia so i'll have to find a good program file since even the manual settings are locked
glad i found this site because i'll do my resesarch here before buying next time
thanks for all the help

sorry i meant vga mode
to update the card driver do u have to uninstall the antivirus
without uninstalling av , it said there wasn't a more current driver than the one installed dated 07/07 and the update was listed as 01/08/08
kinda pi$$ed at samdung(s) and nvidia because neither will address a conflict fix, they point fingers at each other
i stand corrected, samdung has a link to a nvidia driver update i believe from 2002
with support like that why bother
nvidia forums say uninstall the program because it's crap anyway
any help would be much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back