Pros! Help XFX Nvidia 9800GT Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sev

pretty much the same as this guys post https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic111066.html minidump is attached i can run the system in normal windows, but as soon as the card has to use some of that power its supposed to have POOF freezing, hanging, crashing, only thing missing is the loud bang of my computer hitting the wall.. i just got this card TODAY! and its been like this since i got it, friends tell me to return it and get a new one.. but since XFX has seemed to be the crapshoot of videocards who knows.. and yes i know drivers and all that blah blah tried them all from the kind that came with my computer to the beta none work..i can play cod4 for like 2-10 minutes before it crashs, i can play counterstrike source, but i need to alt tab when it starts to get choppy or it crashs to Ideas!! Pros Help!

anyone have any ideas?

Well, the 8800/9800GTs are known to run very hot so you may want to try using RivaTuner to adjust the fan speed before you play a game. I'm going to assume your card is the YDLU model that came with the COD4 game, correct? If so, I believe the vf900cu Zalman cooler will fit if you are having heat problems. You may just need to run Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper to wipe all nVidia drivers, including chipset, and then reinstall the drivers afterward. Also, make sure your PSU is powerful enough to run the card. If all else fails, I would contact XFX tech support and have them set up an RMA. They will probably also tell you to run Driver Cleaner or whatever so try that first so you can tell them you've already been there.

...and btw, where in NH are you from?

As EXCellR8 has suggested the PSU and it must be eliminated first as the culprit. You should also monitor the temperature of the GPU.

As the temperature of a PSU increases, it's power output decreases dramatically.

First make certain your case ventilation and housekeeping are as good as they can be.

Well, the 8800/9800GTs are known to run very hot so you may want to try using RivaTuner to adjust the fan speed before you play a game. I'm going to assume your card is the YDLU model that came with the COD4 game, correct? If so, I believe the vf900cu Zalman cooler will fit if you are having heat problems. You may just need to run Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper to wipe all nVidia drivers, including chipset, and then reinstall the drivers afterward. Also, make sure your PSU is powerful enough to run the card. If all else fails, I would contact XFX tech support and have them set up an RMA. They will probably also tell you to run Driver Cleaner or whatever so try that first so you can tell them you've already been there.

...and btw, where in NH are you from?

i have a 1000watt PSU, plenty of extra power to run this computer and i dont think i need rivatuner, cause i just use the nTune, which allows me to set the fan 2 run @ 100% all the time.. i thought that was it at 1st but no i have a head sensor right on my card, well i did until i put my 8600GT back in.. wanted to play some games lol.. check my system specs, oh and i live in Keene

As EXCellR8 has suggested the PSU and it must be eliminated first as the culprit. You should also monitor the temperature of the GPU.

As the temperature of a PSU increases, it's power output decreases dramatically.

First make certain your case ventilation and housekeeping are as good as they can be.

haha, mATX tower, filled to the brim.. and my PSU has a 120mm Fan that sucks the heat out and blows it out the back

Have you tried using the same drivers that you have installed for the 8600GT with the 9800GT? Since the 9800GT is basically just a newer version of the 8800GT, you should be able to use the 8-series drivers for it.

i think i got it to work, i havent put it to a full hour of testing, but it works now so far for cod4, and all my other games, except devil may cry 4, the video doesnt mess up now it just goes to BSoD, saying win32.sys is no longer working and gah!

Does the BSOD display anything about the nv4_disp.dll? A blue screen that appears during a game us typically the result of a buggy driver, which can affect critical system files as well. Since the win32.sys is part of Windows itself, you may just need the latest updates. You should also make sure that your game client is up to date as well. If the system file is corrupt (fat chance), doing an sfc /scannow might fix it if you have the OEM cdrom.

Does the BSOD display anything about the nv4_disp.dll? A blue screen that appears during a game us typically the result of a buggy driver, which can affect critical system files as well. Since the win32.sys is part of Windows itself, you may just need the latest updates. You should also make sure that your game client is up to date as well. If the system file is corrupt (fat chance), doing an sfc /scannow might fix it if you have the OEM cdrom.

yea it does it was working kinda well earlier, but now its just ****ed up, i updated the driver thinking it would be ok.. but nope.. now when ever i try to play ANY game it just freezes everything on my computer, hell my LCD display on my keyboard stops lol, but it will come back for about 50ms and then freeze again, and repeats.. im so clueless, and hell the xfx support hasnt said anything to me, granted.. it is a weekend :\

Yea XFX support typically takes a couple days, excluding the weekend, but they typically DO respond. Last time I had a problem with one of their products, they told me to run Driver Cleaner, update chipset drivers etc... so make sure you mention everything you've tried. Usually if the video card itself was "defective" it would either not work at all (no video signal) or noticeable graphical artifacts would appear on the screen. This sounds like some kind of conflict between the video driver and Windows, but it makes little sense due to the 8600GT operating correctly. Make sure to mention that your 8600GT works fine when XFX tech support gets back to you. Is the 8600GT an XFX product as well?

Yea XFX support typically takes a couple days, excluding the weekend, but they typically DO respond. Last time I had a problem with one of their products, they told me to run Driver Cleaner, update chipset drivers etc... so make sure you mention everything you've tried. Usually if the video card itself was "defective" it would either not work at all (no video signal) or noticeable graphical artifacts would appear on the screen. This sounds like some kind of conflict between the video driver and Windows, but it makes little sense due to the 8600GT operating correctly. Make sure to mention that your 8600GT works fine when XFX tech support gets back to you. Is the 8600GT an XFX product as well?

yep it is , maybe ill go update my drivers for my chipset *Hope Hope Hope*

so i reinstalled xp, kinda works now just... NONE OF MY FREAKING SOUNDS CARDS WILL WORK!!! >_< GAHHHH#@HUIOWEGNGJKWEGJKBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back