XFX GeForce 9600 GT XXX Video Card Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan948265

When I try to play an FPS such as Call Of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare I can only play about 5 minutes of the 1st mission and then it freezes. The computer becomes TOTALLY unresponsive. I have looked into the event viewer before and it says that Mozilla Firefox had a fault and closed. FIREFOX WAS NEVER OPEN. So I tried uninstalling and it still said the same error. So I then reinstalled the entire Operating System (Windows XP Pro SP2) without Mozilla Firefox. Game still freezes and becomes unresponsive as well as windows. I have the latest Direct X 9.0 August 2008 version. I have been using the Y-adapter for my graphics card (Using 2 Molex connectors and converts that into a single PCI-Express power connector) )and maybe this is the issue? I don`t have the money to go out and buy a power supply. PLEASE HELP! Also, RTS games run fine.

Heres my current PC Info:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition
Motherboard: Asus M2N-E SLI Motherboard
RAM: 2 One Gig Kingston 800MHz
Power Supply: OKIA Aluminum Series 600Watt
Full ATX Case

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your card. Your power supply should be fine for the 9600, so I wouldn't look at that unless you are getting BSODs. What other games have you tried? I know there are some issues with CoD4 and the latest nVidia cards. I would run a demo of 3DMark06 and see what happens. If you get through the entire bench without any problems then my guess would be the problem is software related and not your card. If you are still having problems afterward, try running Driver Cleaner Pro software and do a clean install of the latest nVidia display drivers.

I have uninstalled the drivers and then restarted. After restarting I installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA and I havent really noticed freezing. Ok I patched the game to the latest drivers and its still freezing. its also doing it on MassEffect as well

Ok i'm going to have a stab in the dark with this, It could be your ram / motherboard, i had a similar type of problem with my corsair 2GB kit and my Gigabyte board, basically the ram needed to run at 1.9v but the board only ran at 1.8v and such it would casue the system to freeze atfer 10 mins or so, the only way i could get it to stop was to underclock the ram down from 800mhz to 750mhz, I also have friends that had similar problems and they had Asus boards running 800mhz ram in various combinations, it's just a guess on my part it may not be the same thing but it does sound similar and worth looking into.

Ok i'm going to have a stab in the dark with this, It could be your ram / motherboard, i had a similar type of problem with my corsair 2GB kit and my Gigabyte board, basically the ram needed to run at 1.9v but the board only ran at 1.8v and such it would casue the system to freeze atfer 10 mins or so, the only way i could get it to stop was to underclock the ram down from 800mhz to 750mhz,

How do you do this with an M2N-E SLI? This sounds like an almoost identical version of my problem only the only difference is type of RAM and motherboard. Is there a FREE utility to under-clock the RAM?

Do u know anything about the BIOS, there should be a setting in it to set the voltage for the ram. I am not familiar with that board, but bet u will have to look in overclocking sections to find it. I say that as that is where mine is.

Your PSU is the problem. You're sharing the single +12V rail with your video card and the rest of your components by using the Molex-to-PCI-E converter. To add to that, the PSU doesn't even have enough current on the +12V rail to support all your components. Get a new one with at least 26-28A on the +12V rail.

Who said that? That 450W PSU provides enough power for any video card except a dual-GPU one like the 9800GX2 and is, needless to say, of superior quality to your current PSU. I also (again) recommend it over that Ultra PSU.

Even so, 33A on the +12V rail is enough for anything you will add, aside from an extremely high-end video card, and that would need a good-quality 600W PSU, which the Ultra PSU isn't anyways.

Ok so if I have 2 1Gig Kingston RAM sticks, 2 hard drives (1IDE and one SATA)), Video Card (XFX GeForce 9600 XXX Alpha Dog Edition), Motherboard (M2N-E SLI), Fans (4 extra, +1 CPU cooler), Processor (AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.22GHz, Wattage 125). This will all RUN on a 450Watt PSU?

Yes, it will run without a hitch. I guarantee it.

Oh, and FYI, your system doesn't pull more than 300-350W under peak load.

Ok, well I guess I will try your idea. I hope to god your right, or I will be very angry. Sorry its just that its been very stressful. I keep getting different and arbitrary ideas and thoughts from everyone.

And what if I'm right? Do I get to wear a Joker costume and "Put a smile on that face"? ;)

P.S. - I hope that cheered you up. :)

i have
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
M2N-E SLi
2x 1GB Corsair xms2 6400
XFX GeForce 9600 GT XXX Alpha Dog 740M 512 MB
Cooler master iGreen 500W

exact same problems? same hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back