PSU handling this GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretaz19

Hi, I currently have a 8800gt and I want to upgrade it, my screen resolution is 1680x1050 and i just seem to lag in most newer games.
I was thinking of getting the GTX 260, heres a link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130398

Now what I'am wondering is if ill have problems with my 500w PSU. I dont really understand the 12v rails and amps that it says it requires, here is my PSU link.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1247&ID=1524#Tab1

and if you have any recomandations for upgrade please share,

Thanks in advance.

i just seem to lag in most newer games.
Can you describe that, and include full system spec? The 9800gt is a powerful card, and if this turns out to be a CPU bottleneck a faster card will only make it worse.

The powersupply is of low quality and may not work, I suggest the CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail at $ 94, or the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail at $99.
Both very similar power supplies, but obviously the 650 is a tad stronger but more expensive. Note powersupplies get less efficient when they use a lower percentage of power but the 650 should be able to support SLI GTX 260's, which I am not sure the 550 would do well with.

My fps is low in newer games Ive tried like Age of Conan and Warhammer 40k . It drops really low when im by a lot of people, like in towns, and when i fight.. when theres alot of animations.
My system specs are..
Dual core 2.4ghz
2gbs of ram
8800gt
500w psu

My fps is low in newer games Ive tried like Age of Conan and Warhammer 40k . It drops really low when im by a lot of people, like in towns, and when i fight.. when theres alot of animations.
I still doubt you need a new graphics card, 8800gt is perfectly acceptable for all games, sans highest settings.

I would first try turning the settings down a little, turning resolution down, and above all, turning AntiAliasing (AA) off.

Did you get latest drivers? Are any background programs taking up a lot of CPU processes.

Dual core 2.4ghz
Honestly this still sounds like a CPU bottleneck, but AMD athlong or Intel Core 2 duo, your processor should be ok too.

If i turn down the settings super low for some of these games it still lags, but i get better fps. Resolution if i turn down it looks terrible and it lowers my fps. Theres no backround programs expect Xfire, and my cpu is barelly being used up when i play, only around 15-35 percent. And yeah i have latest drivers for my video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back