PSU voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

valbren

speedfan is telling me that the +5 volt line works at 6,85volt.if i measure the voltage on a molex with a voltmeter in the +5 volt position the result is +5,17.which one is wright ?do i need to replace the psu ?

What are your other voltage readouts? I don't use speedfan so I can't comment on its accuracy but I do use a multimeter. If speedfan is correct then you definitely have a problem but if your multimeter is correct you are fine. Below or above 5% of the set voltage setting is when you need to become concerned

Test your other lines and do a comparison.

Interpreting your results
The general range of safe voltages is as follows (plus or minus 5%, according to the ATX standard)
+12v rail (11.40v - 12.60v)
+5v rail (4.75v - 5.25v)
+3.3v rail (3.13 - 3.47v)

Just because it's within that range does not mean it's doing its job.

The +12 line is:speedfan says 11,97 and the multimeter also the same.The +3,3v line i don't know where to measure with the multi.Speedfan gives +3,33v when 3,3v is the wright one.Is there any other program like speedfan ?I have everest but it is not helping much with volts.

For 3.3v:

How to setup for the +3.3v rail on a modern PSU (the ones without those AUX connectors)
Look at your 20/24 pin ATX mobo connector
Plug the black prong into the back of one of the black wires
Plug the red prong into the back of an orange wire

Check the hardware monitor in your BIOS for the voltages. They are the most reliable.
Checking voltages in software relies on the motherboard sensors and the software being 100% compatible- this is not always the case, especially with Speedfan and OCCT.
The multimeter is also much more reliable than software monitoring.
If you have software from your motherboard vendor that allows you to monitor voltages (these are usually overclocking tools) like Gigabytes EasyTune then these will also be accurate as they are calibrated especially for the board.

according the 24 atx conector and the multimeter the 3,3 is 3,37.According to molex the 5v is 5,17v and the 12v is 11,97v.Then it is ok.i will look at the bios now.

bios says: vcore ok. ddr25v ok. +3,3v ok. +12v ok.Thank you all for the replies.Maby i will try easy tune (gigabyte) just to see.

it is a ga-8i915pm mobo.i tried easy tune 5 pro and non pro but they didn't work.maybe the oem products are not compatible.i will try again.

So its a GA-8i915PM-FS (Fujitsu-Siemens)
EasyTune 5 is listed for the non FS model here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_Model.aspx?ProductID=1801
and also the MF
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_Model.aspx?ProductID=1800
I'd assume that Fujitsu have locked the motherboard out of the software to protect their warranty (i.e. to stop you from getting too adventurous) as the software is primarily designed for overclocking - a supremely bad idea to overclock in an OS enviroment.

the occt tells me that i don't have an update of directx 9 and it will not test my power supply.can i do something about that ?

What video card are you running? If you have an XP system you can update to the latest DX 9 via Microsoft updates.

the video card is an ati x550/x600(radeon).i did microsoft update and nothing came up.i thought i already have directx 9.the way that occt said that it seems that i'm missing an update of directx.i have xp home(legal).

Run a dxdiag which will tell you what version of DirectX is installed. Go to Start > Run and type dxdiag.

i took the sdk before you tell me about the update.i went for the update the directx sdk installer apeard on the screen.then it stoped because of equal or better version or something anyway.do i have to now reinstall the occt ?

It could pay to reinstall although I would expect OCCT to detect the settings at normal startup in any case. I haven't come across this scenario with OCCT before.
Their FAQ page list the program as compatible if the DX9 is of a build later than March,2008
I presume you are using 3.1.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back