Question about a used Dell

learninmypc

Since the pc I'm using right now XP Pro has a dying power supply https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-rebooting-my-xp-pro-mce.187556/
A friend saw this & asked me how it sounds. Your thoughts are welcome. I told her it sounds great.
[FONT=Times][FONT=Times]ONE USED DELL OPTIPLEX GX 270 DESKTOP COMPUTER[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Times]OPERATING SYSTEM[/FONT][FONT=Times]Windows XP Professional with SP3 installed[/FONT][FONT=Times]DESCRIPTIONDell Optiplex GX270[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 GHz[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Memory 2GB of DDR (4 x 512MB)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Hard Drive 80GB[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]DVD-CD-ROM [/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]8 USB 2.0 connectors. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Printer Port[/FONT][FONT=Times]VGA Port - this has an addon video card with dual VGA outputs[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Headphone Jack[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Microphone Jack[/FONT]
[FONT=Times][FONT=Times]THE HARD DRIVE WAS WIPED CLEAN AND I RE-INSTALLED WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL AND USED THE PRODUCT KEY WHICH IS ON THE TOWER.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times]I WENT TO THE DELL WEBSITE AND INSTALLED ALL THE DRIVER UPDATES NEEDED.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]I DID ALL THE WINDOWS UPDATES, INCLUDING UPDATING TO SERVICE PACK 3 AND INSTALLING INTERNET EXPLORER 8.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]I INSTALLED MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS, ADOBE READER, ADOBE FLASH, AND JAVA AND SET THEM TO DO AUTOMATIC UPDATES.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]THE SYSTEM HAS A 3.2 GHz PENTIUM 4 CPU WITH NEW THERMAL COMPOUND APPLIED, AND AN 80GB HARD DRIVE, PLUS I INSTALLED 4 X 512MB = 2GB OF RAM.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]I TESTED THIS UNIT FOR ABOUT FOUR DAYS GIVING IT A WORKOUT PLAYING GAMES, WATCHING VIDEOS AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS ALL YOU'LL NEED TO DO IS HOOKUP A MONITOR, KEYBOARD AND MOUSE WHICH ARE NOT INCLUDED AND YOU'LL BE ON YOUR WAY SURFING THE WEB.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]THIS IS A USED UNIT SO THERE ARE SIGNS OF USE INCLUDING SMEARS SMUDGES SCRATCHES AND A LITTLE DUST.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]THIS LISTING IS FOR THE TOWER AND GUTS ONLY, THERE ARE NO CABLES, DISCS, KEYBOARDS, OR MOUSE, OR MONITOR.[/FONT]
cleardot.gif

I've read where a pc needs one AV, a few spyware programs,one firewall.
My 2nd hand HP pc I'm on now, has Avast, M-bam,SAS, SpywareBlaster & Spybot S&D & runs fine despite the fact it only has 512 mb ram. Thanks for your input.

You put all that on a slow Windows PC and watch it show down ever more... So you have more PC knowledge than I? You are in the dark ages!

Where did I say I have more knowledge than you? I never did. Since MSE has not had good results lately, I just might uninstall it.
Again, thank you & have a nice day.

I use MSE and that temp file cleaner on my powerful system with no slow downs, no freezes and no infections
"My 2nd HP pc I'm on now, has Avast, M-bam,SAS, SpywareBlaster & Spybot S&D & runs fine despite the fact it only has 512 mb ram"
If you used these on a Windows 7 PC, it wouldn't be long before the PC would be BSODing like crazy!

"My 2nd HP pc I'm on now, has Avast, M-bam,SAS, SpywareBlaster & Spybot S&D & runs fine despite the fact it only has 512 mb ram"
If you used these on a Windows 7 PC, it wouldn't be long before the PC would be BSODing like crazy!
I find that hard to believe because I have a few friends with those programs on W7 & they've had no problems with BSOD at all.
I'll just have to see how it goes. I am not saying your statement is incorrect, I'm just saying what I've known for a few years using a W7 with those programs on it.
I've said all I'm going to say. Thanks.:)

My philosophy is always to keep things simple... If Windows XP is fully updated it doesn't require a 3rd party firewall like it used to... With Windows 7 you're asking for trouble using 3rd party firewalls. Superantispyware and Spybot S&D are crap and Malwarebytes, and Mbam can be used sparingly. I use them sometimes after problems occur.

Would be fine for word processing, some excel, web browsing. I would not pay too much. maybe a hundred fifty, maybe less. there are a bunch of these out there - large employers retire them in large groups, and liquidators buy batches and sell them off.

I used one of these with xp and it was fine.

look at ama zon - thy list a few used.

"My 2nd hand HP pc I'm on now, has Avast, M-bam,SAS, SpywareBlaster & Spybot S&D & runs fine despite the fact it only has 512 mb ram"
I'm not here to argue, but 3 years ago I installed those programs on 3 separate W7 laptops & they're still running very good today. One has even gone to to the Philippines & back with no problems.
I will not continue in this thread if it leads to continued arguing. Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. But that don't mean its going to drop dead the next day.
Say what you will, but I know what I've done.
I'm not paying anything for the above mentioned Dell. A friend knew of my situation & asked me if I could use it, I said yes & so its going to be sent to me. Enough said.

Use the same programs if you want. You had in your old computer. I use a few of them in win 7 and do not have a problem. As far as BSOD never had one in any of my computers from these programs. Nor have they slowed down my computer. AS far as MSE thats your choice just lately I have seen a lot of computer with spyware and virus . That MSE has not stop. In the 30 years I have fixed computers . I would not use it. Never did care much for Microsoft security programs. But this is my opinion.

Use the same programs if you want. You had in your old computer. I use a few of them in win 7 and do not have a problem. As far as BSOD never had one in any of my computers from these programs. Nor have they slowed down my computer. AS far as MSE thats your choice just lately I have seen a lot of computer with spyware and virus . That MSE has not stop. In the 30 years I have fixed computers . I would not use it. Never did care much for Microsoft security programs. But this is my opinion.
Thank you very kindly. I was considering dumping MSE because of what you said. I know quite a few people that have W7 & those programs & never any BSOD.:)

IMO and experience, you can install many/all of these - - the issue is which ones are active AUTORUN startups.
  1. you can have ONLY one active firewall
  2. you can have ONLY one active A/V scanning email and web links
All the others are passive tools until they are invoked manually, in which case, there are no conflicts.
Each too has its own benefit - - if it is useful to you, then use it - - otherwise, just uninstall it.

Most likely, the better tools are the ones you learn to configure and use most effectively. If you rely upon an out-of-the-box default setting, then your satisfaction may be limited.

Just my $0.02

Back