TechSpot

Question about Intel Pentium 4

By qf101
Jan 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I'm new here, and I don't know anything about computers. I have an old laptop that is an intel pentium dual cpu T3400. I want to install some software on it that requires Intel Pentium 4 as a minimum. Now as I don't know anything about computers, I don't know if a T3400 IS a Pentium 4 or not, and having googled it for awhile, can't seem to shed any light on it. The rest of the software specs my computer matches, but before I try anything I want to make sure that I truly have an intel pentium 4 or better.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    QF

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

3. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

The T3400 is a Merom architecture processor which is the mobile version of the Conroe architecture (1st gen core 2 duo). While the T3400 is one of the most stripped down non-Celeron processors based on the early core2 architecture it should run circles around a Pentium 4 the last of which were based on the horribly inefficient Netburst architecture. So anything a pent 4 can run the T3400 should be able to run just fine.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

^^^ +1

I'll echo what Buckshot420 and dmill89 said. Although I'm not sure if I would promote Windows XP 64-bit.

5. qf101

qf101 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you. I thought as much, but thought I'd just double check. Thanks a lot guys.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.