TechSpot

question about my mother board and video cards

By nietzsche
Dec 17, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a asus pentium 4, socket 478, intel 845, sdram,agp 4x, 2 gig processor mother board.

it says sd ram, does that mean my 2 gig processor/mother board wont support ddr ram?

and also, i want to upgrade my geforce 2 mx 400 vid card but almost all the vid cards above that are ddr ram. if my mother board doesnt support ddr ram, can i still use a ddr ram video card (will it just clock at lower speeds), or do i have to find a sd ram(pc 133) video card?
  2. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

yes that motherboard will support DDR RAM
    and yes it will support a graphics card with DDR (a motherboard DOES NOT need to support DDR ram to run a DDR graphics card)

Steg
  3. nietzsche

nietzsche TS Rookie Topic Starter

okay thanks a lot man.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

That board will not support DDRam if it's concieved to use SDRam. The i845 chipset was meant for SDRam only. The DDRam version was the i845-D & versions that came afterwards ( i845E, etc ).

Asus P4B @ Asus
  5. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

Steg's right about the VGA card, you can have a DDR graphics card on an SDRam based box, but that board indeed, won't support DDR :]
  6. nietzsche

nietzsche TS Rookie Topic Starter

k thanks, i appreciate the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.