Question about Radeon HD 5770 and HD 6870

evilfox

hello
i have a small question!
i have now HD5770 installed and i now planning to get hd6870
question is if 5xxx series can be crossfired with 6xxx series video card?

no no wont get Lucid Hydra board as i just got new MB which i like for 2 slots of pci-e :) asus m4a89pro/usb3, will go for 2x6870 or will get 6970 ! thx for advices

p.s. will go for 6970 only one more question about hd6970, will it be enought power or i need to upgrade psu too? i have 450w psu and my other spec are 2x2gb kingston hyper-x 1333mhz (soon will be added 2x2gb same ram sticks to be 8gb total ram), asus m4a89pro/usb3 motherboard, phenom 555BE (cores unlocked at x4 and oc@3,6ghz), 1 ssd, 3 hdd, dvd-writer

You are going to need to ditch the 450w PSU to run either Crossfired HD 6870's or a 6970.
AMD recommend 550w or greater for the 6970 and 600w for the crossfired 6870's.
Personally I would look at a 650-750w unit as minimum -preferably with a single +12v rail.
If you would like some suggestions on a PSU, post back with your location and/or whomever you may purchase from (online store like Newegg for example)

thx will get then with the Corsair TX650w V2, and last question about 6970 which brand better get as now im more into gigabyte hd6970 or maybe sapphire/msi/asus is better?

I would probably lean toward the Asus card if you plan on overclocking, although the performance gains aren't worth the effort in my opinion. Asus, Gigabyte and MSI should all come with a 3-year warranty, while the Sapphire is 2-years.
If you are getting a reference card (i.e. the launch model) then they are all exactly the same card under the sticker (they are all made by PC Partner -Sapphires parent company), so a longer warranty and whomever offers the best local service should be the best indicator of which card to buy. Asus and MSI offer the best monitoring and tweaking software which comes bundled with their cards, although the MSI software is available to anyone as a free download- you just need to edit a file for it to work with some brands of cards - less than 2 minutes work!

thx then i go with gigabyte as now having gigabyte 5770 and no problems with it ! so will be gigabyte hd6970 + CORSAIR TX650W V2 :) will cost me 590$ @ my country

Back