Questionable Java update

learninmypc

A few days ago I received this java update
JAVAUPDATE.jpg

Thinking I needed it, I installed it. Now, a couple days later,its still being offered to me via my http://filehippo.com/ updater. Why am I receiving an update I don't need? :confused: TIA

Uninstall it, then download Java from www.java.com and install.

It will periodically notify you as and when updates are needed from the taskbar, in the same visual look as the installer system. You should never need to download from FileHippo or anywhere like there -- that is not to say it isn't genuine though.

Uninstall it, then download Java from www.java.com and install.

It will periodically notify you as and when updates are needed from the taskbar, in the same visual look as the installer system. You should never need to download from FileHippo or anywhere like there -- that is not to say it isn't genuine though.

Thank you Leeky but according to my java icon in my Control Panel, I have the latest version. Which is why this one confuses me.
I'll do as you say anyhow & thanks.

Leeky, I did as you said & it does show in my Control Panel but my java icon is gone & when I went back to verify it,it says I don't have it. I went thru the trouble shooting steps http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
for my browsers, IE,Firefox & SeaMonkey shutdown & restarted each browser & even rebooted & it still says I don't have it. It also said I might need to download it again.Should I?
I also enabled the plug ins.
I'm still going thru the trouble shooting steps so help if you can,please & thanks.

Re-boot, then re-download from www.java.com and run the installer script with all your browsers closed.

That should check what updates your system needs and download them apply them for you.

While waiting for a reply to my previous post, I went to SeaMonkey to check out some news sites & notice this
Adobeflash.jpg

ONLY in SeaMonkey.
I had just recently updated it but figured there might be another update so I clicked it & it said it downloaded successfully yet going back to SeaMonkey it hasn't changed. Firefox & Opera are ok (except java).
Still having java problems thou.
I'm really :confused: because everything was working fine till now.:confused:
Yes,I've rebooted a few times.

The link is here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp - If you use 32 bit and 64 bit browsers you need each one. If its just 32 bit just install that.

Its odd behaviour, flash is not Java, so no idea why that has been removed as the two are exclusive as far as I am aware. Go to www.adobe.com using SeaMonkey and then download the flash. Or click the link coming up above that says get Flash player.

Do the Java and reboot first though.

Ok, I've done the java but no icon in my Control panel & going to a website that uses it,I got nothing but it does show in the add/remove area.
Going to try the Adobe now.

I'm at a total loss. Adobe shows in the Add/remove area but still the same in SeaMonkey. Once it finished updating it,it went to the website telling me it was successful.
FF & Opera are not affected by the adobe, just the java:confused:

Try going to www.java.com using Firefox, and then click the download. I don't use either of these browsers, but they should be updated along with everything else when you install Java.

If Java is current in your add/remove software you should have Java(TM) 6 Update 31 listed.

Try going to www.java.com using Firefox, and then click the download. I don't use either of these browsers, but they should be updated along with everything else when you install Java.

If Java is current in your add/remove software you should have Java(TM) 6 Update 31 listed.

Yes,it is listed in add/remove as such. I'll try it in firefox.

:( Still no joy. Short of a system restore that most likely won't work, I'm :confused:
I even did the offline one this time.

This is very odd.

Is your System spec's correct in that you are using Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition?

Please tell me which browsers you are using, and their current version numbers. And for clarity, list each browser and say whether Flash or Java is playing up, so I can see clearly what is going on. I appreciate you have about, but lets get them in a list so we can see clearer, as looking back I'm starting to get confused.

Cheers.

This is very odd.

Is your System spec's correct in that you are using Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition?

Please tell me which browsers you are using, and their current version numbers. And for clarity, list each browser and say whether Flash or Java is playing up, so I can see clearly what is going on. I appreciate you have about, but lets get them in a list so we can see clearer, as looking back I'm starting to get confused.

Cheers.

Yes, I'm using MS Windows XP Mdia Center
I'm using Seamonkey 2.7.2 (Adobe don't work)
Firefox 10.0.2 (Adobe works but no java
& Opera
Version information
Version11.61
Build1250
Platform
Win32
System
Adobe works, no java.

In Windows XP, the Flash plugin for FF is located in the "c:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash" folder. File name is NPSWF32.dll.

You can try copying this to Seamonkey's plugin folder. Seamonkey is based on FF, so plugins for FF should work w/ Seamonkey.

As for JAVA, try this:

Go Control Panel and double click on the JAVA icon. You'll get the Java Control Panel.
You'll see 4 tabs. Click on Advanced.
Expand the tree for Default Java for Browsers, and check the box next to Mozilla Family if it's not checked

In Windows XP, the Flash plugin for FF is located in the "c:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash" folder. File name is NPSWF32.dll.

You can try copying this to Seamonkey's plugin folder. Seamonkey is based on FF, so plugins for FF should work w/ Seamonkey.

As for JAVA, try this:

Go Control Panel and double click on the JAVA icon. You'll get the Java Control Panel.
You'll see 4 tabs. Click on Advanced.
Expand the tree for Default Java for Browsers, and check the box next to Mozilla Family if it's not checked

OK, the path for the SeaMonkey plug in folder? Got it. SUCCESS. Thanks a trillion :)

Alright, let's see if you have the plugin in the first place. Take a look at "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin". The file you're checking for is "npjp2.dll". This is plug in for FF.

If it's not there, then uninstall whatever version you see in the control panel, reboot, run something like CCleaner to clean up the registry then reinstall Java.

If it's there, than for some reason FF is not seeing it. I don't have an answer for that at this point.

Alright, let's see if you have the plugin in the first place. Take a look at "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin". The file you're checking for is "npjp2.dll". This is plug in for FF.

If it's not there, then uninstall whatever version you see in the control panel, reboot, run something like CCleaner to clean up the registry then reinstall Java.

If it's there, than for some reason FF is not seeing it. I don't have an answer for that at this point.

Ok, I got as far as \bin\ but there is no "new_plugin instead it says plugin2
& in there I see "npjp2.dll"

Maybe some other program checks for "plugin2", so let's leave it there for now. Create a new folder named "new_plugin" and copy everything from "plugin2" to it. There should be 3 files:

msvcr71.dll
npdeployJava1.dll
npjp2.dll

Back