Questions on AV software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawghunter

OK, I have had tremendous success (Thanks, Howard Hopkinso) solving my whataboutadog problem. One thing identified was that Norton is junk.

Based on recommendations here, I installed AVG AV, AVG Antispyware, and a Zonealarm firewall.

The question is, I have spoken with an old IBMer who told me the same horror story about Norton, and he now uses Kaspersky. I have seen a lot of good info here at techspot on Kaspersky.

So, I am wondering if I should replace any or all of the above installed software with Kaspersky products. If so, which one(s) to get? Or should I just saty where I am?

If I stay where I am, should I upgrade to their paid services? Which one(s)?

Opinions?

Thaks folks, this is so valauable I can't express my appreciation enough for your input and help.

Dawg the Colonial, (said because Howard is in England and I bet he thinks I am a green "Yank") :0)

I have heard many good things about Kapersky. I haven't tried it as i use etrust antivirus from CA and love it (not free).

I would recommend that you keep avg antispyware and zone alarm.

Also, all in one programs are a waste of time i recon.

Mcaffee site advisor is also fantastic and free, i rely on it.

Hope that lot helps.:)

OK, so are you recommending the following:

Kaspersky for AV
AVG Antispy
ZoneAlrm firewall

together as a fighting unit...

Anybody else have thoughts on this too?

I just use free software and have never had any problems.

The main thing in order to keep your system safe is sensible surfing etc. Almost without exception, malware infections are caused by user error.

See below for some recommended programmes.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

Also, see this thread HERE for info on how to keep your system more secure.

Regards Howard :)

OK Howard. The AVG Antispyware has a 30-day trial limit before you have to buy according to my downloaded software (which was highly helpful and successful in your recent fix for me).

It seems that I need to buy the package, thereby getting both AV and Antispy as well as others, but perhaps letting the firewall section sit and continue to let ZoneAlarm do it's thing.

Does that sound feasible/reasonable to you?

The AVG Antivirus programme is free.

The AVG Antispyware programme is a trial, but once the trial has ended it will continue to work and can still be updated. It`s just that you`ll lose one or two features, that I don`t consider important in any case.

Regards Howard :)

OK thanks for the tip. Howard, have checked the spot you recommended for more system security. great stuff, and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back