Radeon HD 5970 supplies dry up quick, not a big surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

The expected took place this week after ATI launched their latest dual-GPU graphics card. In our review we praised the card for its performance and relative efficiency, however we were quick to conclude that its immediate success would primarily depend on availability. Other cards in the Radeon 5000 series have been equally well received, however shortage issues have kept them out of enthusiasts' hands for the most part.

An initial report from Fudzilla indicates that a 'decent' amount of Radeon HD 5970 card inventory was pushed to retailers this week, but due to pre-orders and general high interest in the product, the available cards disappeared in a matter of hours.

There are scattered reports about retailers carrying some inventory, but those are quick to go. In other words, if you want to have a Radeon HD 5970 in your hands soon you will have to hunt for it. Taking a quick look at Newegg's stock, you can see 5 different flavors of the HD 5970, all of them unavailable for ordering – despite price tags north of $600.

Permalink to story.

Am really happy for AMD and I hope they continue to be successful. They have to, for the sake of competition.

Hopefully they can get better yields from their suppliers, so this shortage doesn't kill the advantage they have right now. Hate to see them have the best product, but get passed over because nobody can get their hands on it.

If they can push more cards onto the market then they'll finally have some profit. They've been in the red for too long and they need to erase that debt (of course Intel helped them a bit by giving them that really big present ^_^ )

Gratz to AMD - they really made a statement and threw the gauntlet down to nVidia with their new line of DirectX11 cards. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the nVidia offices and see how they're scrambling to meet this new threat.

With all the review sites taking up a whole bunch of cards - No wonder there aren't any left ;)

The card looks great, but I don't have $600, if u are a person who has to have the latest hardware, then this would be for you. If I could afford to upgrade my machine twice a year like some people do I would!

Guess what guys!? Stopped by my local computer store and picked one up! They had just received two today. Keep your eyes on the gallery, pics to come!

Guess I will have to keep my ati radeon 9550 that has a 2 sceen option and dx 11 support a little longer..it also works on win7 btw, but it's not for playing games with guys !

Guest said:
Guess I will have to keep my ati radeon 9550 that has a 2 sceen option and dx 11 support a little longer..it also works on win7 btw, but it's not for playing games with guys !

ermm, a ati radeon 9550 with DX 11?

congrats AMD! at last it seems to be winning in the gpu segment if not in the cpu segment :)

Well at least while AMD is getting hammered by Intel, ATI has been on a roll with Radeon...
I actually switched from my 8800GTS 320 to HD4850 512 and so far im happy...

except my 4850 has kind of recently stopped working after a year... but I have Sapphire warranty so
its only about 20 bucks to get it fixed (shipping)

Still using my trusty HD 4870 and its still kicking. I still regret paying 300$ when it was first released tho lol... i should of waited a tad longer to get todays 300$ cards. They just seem a lot better.

Aolish said:
Still using my trusty HD 4870 and its still kicking. I still regret paying 300$ when it was first released tho lol... i should of waited a tad longer to get todays 300$ cards. They just seem a lot better.

There's no point in playing the waiting game. If you do that, you'll never get to buy anything. :p GFX is forever depreciating. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back