TechSpot

Radeon HD 7970 hits shelves, 7950 coming in February

By Rick
Jan 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The world's fastest single-GPU graphics card is now available in stores, albeit in limited quantities. Newegg has most of its Radeon HD 7970 cards are listed for $550 with theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. thewind

thewind TS Rookie Posts: 66

now correct me if im wrong (which I might be so feel free to comment)... Dosen't nvidia's cards do physx which would put extra strain on there cards? I have a 560ti and it does very well! I really like the physx portions of Batman arkham city with paper flying through the air... youtube it if you dont know what I'm talking about... so given that Radieon cards dont have this feature wouldn't that free up space so there would be higher frame rates? From what I've seen Radeon cards have been a tad bit faster but dont do physx. If nvidia cards didn't do that maybe they would be just as fast? Please tell me if im wrong in any of my thinking...

3. nVidia cards only process physx in games that support it and only when enabled. When companies review video cards they usually turn off card specific features in games to make the processing as equal as possible. So in batman they would turn off physx unless they were specifically testing the physx.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,516   +314

I have to agree with thewind on teh GTX 560 ti though, it is a great little card :)
    got mine running at 950MHz without any voltage tweaking, very impressed how well it runs BF3.

5. IS very tempting.

I have the 580 .. right now . .so i have NO need for a new Video card.. but knowing nVidia..

the 600 series will come end of the year probably. BOOOOO

Good time to upgrade in the high-end market. This will be top dog for at least 1/2 year. (unless nVidia get's their sh*t together)

6. Supply appears to be low and there is a lot of price gouging going on. Online retailers in Oz starting price for the cards was around $700 (yes we are getting ripped off here - I can buy the same card from the US for less than $600 inc shipping). The same retailers by the end of the first release day were selling for $30-90 more.

7. That's why you get an ATI card then buy an old 9800GTX+ or something and have it be a dedicated PhysX card.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,913   +718

Think you've got problems?-check across the ditch in New Zealand ($1079...$AUD 831/ $US 857)...or $79 more than a HD 6990
    Just out of interest, who ships these cards from the U.S.to the South Pacific? Most U.S. etailers are forbidden to send products that encroach on another regional distributer..

9. There are a few businesses dedicated to shipping from US retailers. Shipitto and PriceUSA are a couple of popular ones.

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Yaarp, Australia/NZ is well-known to rip customers off in the PC/gaming markets.

11. Prices in the US are rising as well. Looks like they are up $100 from yesterday.

12. Frames/sec is probably not the best way to score top video cards. My son's GTX480 overclocks easily to 825mhz and then matches a base GTX580 in f/s in benchmarks. But the 580's extra hardware capacity will help out in other ways.

13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,913   +718

[OFFTOPIC]
    These are freight/mail forwarders- not etailers.
    The problem with freight forwarding is that large etailers such as NewEgg won't accept international CC's, nor PayPal etc that is backed by such. Most etailers seem fairly arbitrary in shipping to a freight forwarding (i.e. Suite# ____ )address...this is before you consider the amount of charges, "handling fees" some charge on purchase totals, adding some juice to the exchange rates, and warranty returns when dealing with a middle man.
    [/OFFTOPIC]

14. Those sites pay from their US accounts for the items then on-ship so they are using US CC's so that is already taken care of. The handling fees for shipito are actually quite low and when you look at the price difference it is pretty competition compared to australian domestic pricing.

So they are a little more than freight forwarders. They are purchasing agents as well.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.