RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION, need input from those who have used this

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost1977

my current video card has gone bad.
i am considering up grading to this
RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION pci-e

would like comments from those who have used this card??

thanks.

Great card, good performer.. it lacks SM3.0 and FP blends for the rare few HDR games, but overall it's a good performing card with LOTS of power.

What was your old card?

Also, what price range are you getting it at? X1800XL and XT's are dirt cheap now and often times, you can get one of these for same/similar price as the higher end X800 series if you're PCI-Express.

Example, X1800XT 256mb for $219 USD after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698

Compare this to how most PCI-E X800/X850 XT/PE's are right around $200 USD... it makes sense to consider for a few bucks more get a more powerful card with SM3.0/FP16 blends for hdr. :) PLUS the X1800's can do HDR + AA as well.

I have the Asus Radeon X800XT PE. It's a good card that performs well. Unfortunately, after about one year the fan failed. Although it's under warranty, I bought an aftermarket replacement heatsink/fan. I haven't reinstalled the card because I've since upgraded to an Asus Radeon X1900XTX.

my current card is a 9800pro, it died, mostly.

so i am looking at changing cards and mother boards to a pci-e

i can do ball park $250 on the video card.

$250 USD will easily get you into an X1800 series card, which will have more power than the X800 series.

Figure the X800 series has 16 pixel pipelines, 256 bit memory interface, but lacks SM3.0 and FP16 blends.

The X1800 has 16 pixel pipelines, additional pixel shader pipelines (48) for modern games such as Oblivion, can do SM3.0/FP16 blends and has higher memory bandwidth.

So for a small difference in price, you get a lot more performance, more shader performance for modern games, plus SM 3.0 + HDR support. Better choice for the $$.

Not to say the X800s arent awesome cards. I run these in most all my AGP based systems as they also have 16 pipelines + 256 bit memory interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back