TechSpot

RadioShack may shut down around 500 retail stores

By Shawn Knight
Feb 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Electronics retail pioneer RadioShack is preparing to shut down 500 stores as part of a continued restructuring effort according to people familiar with the matter as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,754   +96

Cute commercial might be a bit too late for this company. Use to manage one for them down here in the south during the time of the Tandy Computer Center Stores which failed also. They moved that operation into the Radio Shack Technology Center but that didn't make it either even with the free battery of the month club. Funny back in the early 80's Lafayette Radio Electronics which was around since the 60s they also ended up closing all they stores. Now Radio Shack trying to stick it out. Stores like Best Buy moved into pretty much doing the same gimmick along with Target and Walmart Super Center.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

Radioshack needs a niche, right now its just a small version of best buy with mediocre prices....

4. alcarin2030

alcarin2030 TS Enthusiast Posts: 109   +13

Finally. I still have no idea how they have lasted this long. Oh yeah, they are owned by 7/11.

5. In Canada, they shut down January 2007, in their locations with same stock/image they became "The Source"

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Awesome commercial and a great store. I rely on them for electronic prototyping equipment. It is sad to see them struggling, but they cannot compete with bigger names like BestBuy and even Microcenter.

7. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 350   +54

Radio Shack use to be about hobbyist electronics, which has pretty much died out.
    I use to go into RS, ask a question about an electronic circuit, or a component, and
    9 times out of 10 the person knew what I was talking about. You could find electronic
    kits of all kinds to build yourself, and they had some amateur radio equipment.
    With the advent of computers, cell phones, hobbyist electronics kind of died out.

73's
    KB0GNK

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

This is actually becoming less true (in many markets)... The maker movement and Arduino / Raspberry Pi / internet of things hacking mentality is actually thriving and growing, particularly in the younger crowd. It's the same kind of tech tinkering mentality that birthed Radio Shack in the first place, but the Shack just isn't quite following the trend enough. If they were something more like a Sparkfun or Adafruit, stocking and selling DIY hobby gadgets and things like 3D printers, they might be attracting the right crowds to keep them going. As it is now, 80+% of the store is cell phone and other stuff that can be found at any Best Buy, with a sparse selection of cables and connectors, and just one little section in the back corner devoted to actual electronics kits and parts. Going back to their roots and catering to the hobbyists by providing a source for the harder to find items might help them survive. Trying to just do what so many other big box stores are already doing is a recipe for doom.

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,754   +96

Radio Shack was loosing money with the hobbies stuff. That's why they changed over to what you see today. But it doesn't work. Just have way to many doing the same thing.They're in debt now, so loosing money and still hanging on.They're like Kmart, SEARS just not making money but just hanging on to a small share.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

I think of them more as a Dollar Store that charges a premium. When I walk in Radio Shake, I don't see quality merchandise, but I do see quality prices. I will shop at Radio Shake, if I have no other options.

11. IKROWNI

IKROWNI TS Member Posts: 27

I use to use radio shack quite often back in the day when they weren't an overpriced cellphone provider. When they stopped selling small electronics parts is when I lost all interest.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.