Rage slammed with negative reviews after buggy launch

By Matthew
Oct 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Four years of media hype has been nullified in a single day as gamers publish their scathing summaries of id Software's latest first-person shooter. Professional reviews are mixed at best,…

Read the whole story
  2. 1977TA

1977TA Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

Well that's too bad, I was hopeful that Rage would be a Borderlands or Fallout variation.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

OMG... it looked so cool I was about to buy it... thanks I'm not THAT compulsive and dont buy on pre-orders.
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

Say it ain't so!!!! I almost pre-ordered it also and Carmack is my idol.
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Hoo-boy, I'd sworn off pre-ordering games after being burned lately by a couple of games (Crysis 2 and Silent Hunter V specifically), but was sorely tempted to pre-order this one. Glad I didn't. There was something about the previews and trailers that just didn't "seem right."

Like many other games that have been released this year and have turned out to be big disappointments, I'll wait until it hits the Steam bargain bin sometime next year.
  6. "Variation"?! This the best you could hope for? I was hoping it would blow'm all away and be the new leader/innovator like the good old days! Can't even touch, so it seems, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" which launched just a few months earlier.
  7. I would've never thought that the ID Software crew, of all people, could possibly fail so bad. It's sad to see ID following everyone else in this *****ic trend of making console games and then giving us shitty, half-baked ports for the PC. Pathetic.

Thank Bigfoot I didn't pre-order.
  8. I dont know what game you guys are playing but i think its ****ing amazing but i guess if you dont like it you can go **** your self
  9. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Did you make it Guest? Why taking it so personal? wtf... if you liked it go play it, good for you!
  10. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

Low quality textures on pc, no vídeo setting, from what I have read. I have to wait until ths Friday to play it here in korea
  11. And this is how ID software goes down... in RAGE!

12. I think most people (that think about these things) expected as much. id don't make games anymore, they make engines. Rage was never going to be anything more than an elaborate tech demo. I mean, even the setting - a generic mashup of various games of recent years - looks more like something that Nvidia might knock up to showcase a new graphics card, rather that something people would actually like to play.
  13. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

Payed full retail did we?:haha:
  14. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

15. colinf

colinf Newcomer, in training Posts: 43   +7

think you need to buy more games...you'll see what crap you've been given
  16. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

not really, there haven't been any games in the style of what rage what supposed to be in recent memory.
    I'm sad, i was looking forward to this game.
  17. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 709   +28

Its an ID Software game. Of course its crap. They made great 3d engines - still do, but they haven't had an original game idea for years and years. I lose count of the number of times I completed single player doom, doom2, quake and quake 2 plus every expansion. But Quake 3 was just multiplayer and more of the same and went up against Unreal Tourney and Counterstrike which was unbelieveably fresh. Quake 4 was more of the same. Even Doom 3 was dull dull dull. Rage isn't a fantastic single player game? It looks like a Borderlands/Fallout ripoff and has done for months. Run and gun but not in a very interesting way. The engine should be used in some decent games hopefully. maybe. who knows.
  18. No tweak or advance setting for PC that is unacceptable.

19. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

That was an interesting read, Matthew - thanks for posting the link. The interviewer definitely had it pegged as he's aggressively addressing all the items people are complaining about in their reviews.

Yo hostile guest - forget your Prozac today? :p
  20. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Just force vsync on Rage.exe with the nvidia control panel. I am having a blast with the game.
  21. "I think most people (that think about these things) expected as much. id don't make games anymore, they make engines. Rage was never going to be anything more than an elaborate tech demo."

This was also my expectations from the previews I saw before, but what I don't understand is that they charge people 60$ for this "game". Since this is just a Tech Demo, and they're going to sell their engine after that, they should have given Rage for free.
    These days you can get so many indie games that are lot more fun than Rage and for less than 10 bucks.
  22. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Boy, I sure love being right 90% of the time, to my misfortune.
  23. id makes fantastic game engines, but passable-to-poor games. They also make most of their money from licensing the engine (ie-Unreal 3) to other developers who actually know how to make fantastic games. This isn't terribly surprising. Look for id to rebound on engine licensing profits and continue to fumble making actual games.
  24. Reiz3r

Reiz3r TechSpot Member

25. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 386   +96

I can't agree more. It seems developers don't even care about what they are producing... It's most likely the publishers fault that these games are being pushed out with so many problems because of their "corporate deadlines". But really, is there any developer that sees a game as a form of art and want's to perfect that art and not just as a revenue stream?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.