Rage slammed with negative reviews after buggy launch

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Four years of media hype has been nullified in a single day as gamers publish their scathing summaries of id Software's latest first-person shooter. Professional reviews are mixed at best, with most sites concluding that Rage failed to deliver the goods. Although their final scores vary, the sites agree that the game is ultimately a shallow corridor shooter with gaping craters in its story, dialog, quests, and mechanics.

Ars Technica has the most unforgiving write-up we've seen today, calling the game "creatively and mechanically bankrupt." "It feels like a group of people had to create a game because they were under contract, not because they honestly enjoyed any aspect of their own creation," wrote Ben Kuchera in his console review. In fact, Kuchera went as far as to say that he only finished the 10-hour game because he was paid to.

Joystiq offers a similar verdict, albeit not as harsh: "RAGE is pretty at times, but it's not enough to paint over the truth -- that id's labor feels like a scaffolding for a game of bolder ideas, ideas which, for whatever reason, aren't realized. And the game that is there just isn't enough to compete with other, better shooters we've seen this year." For all its shortcomings, PC Gamer notes that it's still a satisfying linear shooter.

rage

Users haven't been particularly thrilled with their purchase either, giving Rage a score of 4.2 out of 10 on Metacritic. Although many of the user reviews mention Rage's disappointing gameplay, much of the backlash stems from the game's various launch day bugs. One thread on Steam dedicated to Rage's issues has 24 pages of posts. The first entry mentions 17 bugs or other in-game problems. We'll include that full list below.

Issues:

• No custom settings for video cards.
  • No console command. Read here to enable the console key via config file here.
  • No Vsync options. Results in screen tearing. Forcing Vsync causes the game to crash the drivers and game. (AMD)
  • Unable to skip intros? To disable the intro videos put this "+set com_skipIntroVideo 1" in the launch options of Rage via Steam.
  • Mouse acceleration?
  • Can't use Crossfire or SLI.
  • Bad FoV for PCs. Short-term solution: FOV adjustment howto.

Bugs:

• Texture streaming is bad and slow resulting in always reloading the same textures thus causing the textures popping in effect.
  • Missing/blinking textures.
  • Game crashes when exiting the Arc.
  • LoD issues(popins dispersing items).
  • Crashing after intro video.
  • Audio stuttering and not blending properly.
  • Occasional artifacts appearing.
  • Low frame rates with occasional fps spikes.
  • Loading saves causes video card drivers to crash.
  • Game fails to start with error code #51.

It's worth noting that AMD released a "Rage Performance Driver" for Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series owners yesterday, but the company has urged players to avoid that release as it includes dated OGL files that cause graphics corruption. A new driver is expected sometime today. Nvidia owners should probably use last week's GeForce 285.38 beta drivers, which mention "improved compatibility and performance" with Rage.

Permalink to story.

OMG... it looked so cool I was about to buy it... thanks I'm not THAT compulsive and dont buy on pre-orders.

Say it ain't so!!!! I almost pre-ordered it also and Carmack is my idol.

Hoo-boy, I'd sworn off pre-ordering games after being burned lately by a couple of games (Crysis 2 and Silent Hunter V specifically), but was sorely tempted to pre-order this one. Glad I didn't. There was something about the previews and trailers that just didn't "seem right."

Like many other games that have been released this year and have turned out to be big disappointments, I'll wait until it hits the Steam bargain bin sometime next year.

"Variation"?! This the best you could hope for? I was hoping it would blow'm all away and be the new leader/innovator like the good old days! Can't even touch, so it seems, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" which launched just a few months earlier.

I would've never thought that the ID Software crew, of all people, could possibly fail so bad. It's sad to see ID following everyone else in this *****ic trend of making console games and then giving us shitty, half-baked ports for the PC. Pathetic.

Thank Bigfoot I didn't pre-order.

I dont know what game you guys are playing but i think its ****ing amazing but i guess if you dont like it you can go **** your self

Did you make it Guest? Why taking it so personal? wtf... if you liked it go play it, good for you!

Low quality textures on pc, no vídeo setting, from what I have read. I have to wait until ths Friday to play it here in korea

I think most people (that think about these things) expected as much. id don't make games anymore, they make engines. Rage was never going to be anything more than an elaborate tech demo. I mean, even the setting - a generic mashup of various games of recent years - looks more like something that Nvidia might knock up to showcase a new graphics card, rather that something people would actually like to play.

Guest said:
I dont know what game you guys are playing but i think its ****ing amazing but i guess if you dont like it you can go **** your self

think you need to buy more games...you'll see what crap you've been given

Guest said:
I think most people (that think about these things) expected as much. id don't make games anymore, they make engines. Rage was never going to be anything more than an elaborate tech demo. I mean, even the setting - a generic mashup of various games of recent years - looks more like something that Nvidia might knock up to showcase a new graphics card, rather that something people would actually like to play.
not really, there haven't been any games in the style of what rage what supposed to be in recent memory.
I'm sad, i was looking forward to this game.

Its an ID Software game. Of course its crap. They made great 3d engines - still do, but they haven't had an original game idea for years and years. I lose count of the number of times I completed single player doom, doom2, quake and quake 2 plus every expansion. But Quake 3 was just multiplayer and more of the same and went up against Unreal Tourney and Counterstrike which was unbelieveably fresh. Quake 4 was more of the same. Even Doom 3 was dull dull dull. Rage isn't a fantastic single player game? It looks like a Borderlands/Fallout ripoff and has done for months. Run and gun but not in a very interesting way. The engine should be used in some decent games hopefully. maybe. who knows.

That was an interesting read, Matthew - thanks for posting the link. The interviewer definitely had it pegged as he's aggressively addressing all the items people are complaining about in their reviews.

Yo hostile guest - forget your Prozac today? :p

"I think most people (that think about these things) expected as much. id don't make games anymore, they make engines. Rage was never going to be anything more than an elaborate tech demo."

This was also my expectations from the previews I saw before, but what I don't understand is that they charge people 60$ for this "game". Since this is just a Tech Demo, and they're going to sell their engine after that, they should have given Rage for free.
These days you can get so many indie games that are lot more fun than Rage and for less than 10 bucks.

id makes fantastic game engines, but passable-to-poor games. They also make most of their money from licensing the engine (ie-Unreal 3) to other developers who actually know how to make fantastic games. This isn't terribly surprising. Look for id to rebound on engine licensing profits and continue to fumble making actual games.

TomSEA said:
Hoo-boy, I'd sworn off pre-ordering games after being burned lately by a couple of games (Crysis 2 and Silent Hunter V specifically), but was sorely tempted to pre-order this one. Glad I didn't. There was something about the previews and trailers that just didn't "seem right."

Like many other games that have been released this year and have turned out to be big disappointments, I'll wait until it hits the Steam bargain bin sometime next year.
I can't agree more. It seems developers don't even care about what they are producing... It's most likely the publishers fault that these games are being pushed out with so many problems because of their "corporate deadlines". But really, is there any developer that sees a game as a form of art and want's to perfect that art and not just as a revenue stream?

Back