RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik11105

Dear techspot users,
will ddr2 ram work on this mother board

MSI 790FX-GD70 and a AMD 965 BE

if not can any one be as kind enough as to direct me to a place where there is not soo expensie 8 gb ram module for a dual channel

Thanks so much :]
Nik11105

The MSI 790FX-GD70 supports only DDR3 RAM. I don't know of any particular place with a good deal on 8GB RAM modules. I could google but no better than you could. Maybe someone else knows.

"Not too expensive" and "8Gb RAM" probably don't belong in the same sentance together.
A quick look at Scan's DDR3 RAM selection shows 8Gb matched kits in the £210-250 range.

The RAM qualification on the board is not exactly extensive
http://www.msi.com/uploads/test_report/TR10_1740.pdf
with a lot of modules qualified for 2 DIMM and not 4 DIMM operation (and no 8Gb kits as yet)
It would seem that the board/chipset prefer tight timings - DDR3-1333 @ CAS7 seems to be the sweet spot as far as I can see. I also found this on MSI forums which may have a bearing on your choice of kits http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=45ada15b89a19a78b46628922c4c8394&topic=120827.0
I think at this stage you would need to appreciate that you are effectively a beta tester on this board and 8Gb -maybe less so if you could find a 2 module (2x4Gb) kit- so some tweaking of timings and/or voltages could be required to get the RAM stable. The modules may run fine out of the box, but you may not be able to confirm this prior to purchase.

By the way, you do realize that your motherboard only supports a TOTAL of 16GB of RAM don't you?

Hello anybody there!(echo)

What's to add?
The Geil kit you've already linked to.
I've never heard of "Major".
Regardless of RAM branding, for an 8Gb kit you will be somewhat of a pathfinder (read beta tester). If you're happy with the trial-and-error approach then I'd go with a premium manufacturer. MSI forums and message boards are pointing towards the board preferring tight timings (low latency) and moderate bandwidth. If you are in any doubt then either contact MSI support for their input, or settle on a 4Gb kit that has known compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back