RAM upgrade help, 2 gigs to 4 gigs

By NZvista
May 28, 2010
  1. Hello,

First of, some quick system specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64X Dual Core Processor 6400+ . 3.2gz AM2
    Ram: Value kingston/hynix 1gb 667 x2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770-US3

I have grown tired of the crappy windows vista 32bit system, and luckily my university licenses students with free windows 7 professional copies. So I have decided to take that up and install windows 7, while i'm at it, I decided to go for 64bit and upgrade my ram.

I have done quite a bit of research, and catalogue trawling but I cannot seem to find any good 4gig ram packages that are both 800Mhz + DDR2 + work with AMD / AM2 sockets.

Does anybody know of any ram that would suit this. Personally I am a gamer, so whilst I will take any ram, would prefer ram with a bit of class.

Peter

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,907   +91

3. NZvista

NZvista TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 100

Thanks for the reply, but the only set in New Zealand is like $400 ): I want good ram, but a bit too pricey :)

4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,940   +724

G.Skill compatibility here- they usually work well with Gigabyte boards.
    I would suggest the PK's . $NZ230 (inc GST) from Acquire
    You may need to manually set the DRAM voltage (no XMP profile with the RAM) but other than that it should be plain sailing.

5. red1776

$400 or 8x for that set? are you sure you looked at the right ram? wow, I don't envy you trying to upgrade there.
    the vast majority of actual ram modules are manufactured by eight (I believe it is) companies and its all good stuff. some tweaked for higher performance. but as long as you get a name brand and not buy the $15 'high density' junk off ebay,(and check MB compatibility) you will be okay. what is a set of Kingston go for? its not all pretty, but its quality memory.

Edit: while I was typing I thinking that Chef DBZ would probably stop by.

6. dividebyzero

red, RAM- especially DDR2, is verrrrry expensive in NZ. The market is dominated by Corsair and Kingston. OCZ and G.Skill are somewhat available as is Crucial-but only in limited supply. 4Gb of Mushkin, even the Blackline range, can retail $NZ600+. The price you pay for being (well) off the beaten track.

7. red1776

I went and converted it after his response and found that $600 NZ is $418 USD, After talking with Ritwik It seems its about the same in India as well. This is why I get my dander up over the whining by many in the states about the cost of electronics here. overall they are an excellent value IMO.

8. dividebyzero

Oh yes, you haven't been shafted on pricing until you buy in NZ...
    How about a Sapphire HD5970 Toxic for $NZ2051 ($US1394)....but that's with free shipping (bit of bonus there!)

9. red1776

:haha: good god already!...after you get over the sticker shock and the assult on your wallet....you cant even put it in your cart because its 'out of stock'.

so are you one of the four people in NZ that actually have more than an abacus there Chef?

10. dividebyzero

Abacus ! Thats for the enthusiasts. Mainstream is coloured pebbles on a mat and entry level is HP Compaq Presario (poor bastards!)

11. red1776

ROFL, Im picturing what the benchmark graphs would look like on a overclocked abacus!

12. NZvista

haha, there seems to be quite a debate on how expensive New Zealand computer parts are :) One thing I have noted however, is that lap tops aren't that different, if you factored in shipping costs from the US.

However, as we are on the subject of RAM, there is one more question. The G.Skill product, of which im fine to pay $200 for, has its compatibility here:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=48

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that does not seem to be compatible with AM2 systems, and alas... every ram set ive come across says basically the same thing? Damn me for going AMD perhaps?

13. red1776

unfortunately NZ its not much of a debate, seems you NZ'ers pay through the teeth for components.
    what board are you trying to find Ram for? because it should work with an AM2 board unless the manufacturer of the board has a known issue with it.

14. dividebyzero

If you scroll down to the specification you'll see...

M/B Chipset Intel X48
    Intel X38
    Intel P4x / G4x Series
    Intel P35 / G3x Series
    Intel 965P
    Intel 975X
    nVidia n6xx I (For Intel series)
    nVidia n7xx I (For Intel series)
    nVidia nForce 5xx Series
    nVidia nForce 6xx Series
    nVidia nForce 7xx Series
    nVidia GeForce 8x00 Series
    AMD 6x0 Series
    AMD 7x0 Series <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (emphasis added)

15. NZvista

Oh I see, thank you

16. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Just read through this thread and damn, I feel sorry for you guys in NZ... but surely it would be cheaper to just import some parts from the US or HK or somewhere where you don't pay $2000 for a graphics card?

17. NZvista

Places like newegg or ebay don't ship to NZ, so we would have to use a mail forwarding service which could have a large variety of problems, such as it getting damaged, lost and the fact that is it expensive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.