Ram upgrade, mixing different manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Currently running win 7 64 with 2*2gb(4gb) geil gx24gb8500c5udc and have no probs what so ever, but I'd like to upgrade to 8gb as don't want to end up in dead end with lack of it in year or so.
There is no same ram left in my city, I can't order it online and I read somewhere that mixing different manufacturers isn't great idea.

My question is, if I buy ram with same speed 1066, same latency timings 5-5-5-15, and voltage 2.2v, 1066 @ 2.2v, but from different manufacturer (transcend, corsair, kingston, ocz), would I have problems running it (all 8gb) at 1066?
Mainboard is biostar ta790gb 128, phenom2 940 @ 3.6.

Any help would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

smiki

You will have a slight speed differential by mixing memory. We have tested a lot of machines done this way and the differences are marginal... but there are differences.
Beyond that, the computer will be able to run the memory at the speed of the slowest module with the poorest timings...
You won't usually have "problems" but you will not have the same top performance as you will with matched sets.
I would bet you couldn't tell, if you tested two systems side by side on an AMD machine.

Generally instead of getting the specs right with Ram
You are best to download your guide on specifically which ram is suited to your computer or motherboard

Although all specs may be the same, I would advise against having two different manufacturers of Ram cards installed (for non compatibility reasons)
Why again, can't you order online? You are online at the moment?

If its eBay, they will if you message the seller and pay up front (even before final sale
But you can only do this for Gold or high end sellers after confirmation mail

'Well you see, Norm, it's like this … a herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

lol :D
I have never heard of that analogy and I'm concerned it may not be true (for the human)
No matter of physical abuse and destroying brain cells can be looked upon as a good idea

Strangely your idea does seem logically feasible though (in theory)

'Well you see, Norm, it's like this … a herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

so your saying I should be drinking massive amounts of light beer??....wait what?:haha:

Im from Serbia too! :D I have 2x 512 and 2x 256 ram attached to my motherboard. 2x512 are Kingstons and 2x256 are some old rubbish ram 100% sure not Kingston. I have them for 2 years and i didnt have any problems with none of them.

You know you're not in America, you don't have to announce where you are from all the time :D ;) :p

Anyway, yes it can work (and does) but preferably use the exact same Ram manufacturers and Ram amounts too ;)

one guy told me that gx24gb8500c5udc is impossible to buy, because it is not in manufacturing process any more, and he suppose to work for some it seller comp, nice :(

Yes but you have: 2x 512 and 2x 256, which is already strange :D
You could just sell the lot, and purchase 2x 1 Gig, therefore less ram slots used, and you're getting an extra 512Meg of Ram at the same time ;)

Well your Motherboard supports: 266/333/400 2.5v DDR SDRAM
That is pretty common Ram that many Users would need for a lower end system (if they were interested in 2 x 256Meg of Ram)
Info from HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back