Random crashes on a new build

By darknezx
Sep 13, 2008
  1. Hi

My newly assembled pc is randomly crashing when I'm typing a Word document or surfing the internet. Specs are as follows:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 2.61Ghz
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F5 06/18/2008
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics [Display adapter]

From the latest system error via event view:

I've done stress tests on the ram, and it passed. Unlikely to be the mobo either, because it's brand new and the problems only started coming in today. I've NOD32 and ZoneAlarm installed, Spybot and Ad-aware too but these two aren't active processes. I've attached the 3 system error minidumps.

Please advise, thank you!
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

1. Did you run Memtest on your RAM?

2. Have you done any overclocking?

* Excellent choice in antivirus.
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

First off, check for a bios update for the motherboard. A new motherboard will usually take several iterations of bios until it settles down into graceful old age. The exception would be if it is new to you, but is an older well-debugged motherboard.

Second off, take a drive image so you can get back instantly is necessary, and update to SP3.

Third off, are you sure you have the latest video driver for the card?

Fourth off, is the power supply up to scratch, and able to power all the peripherals you have. Cheap and cheerful does not work with power supplies....
  4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Stay offline. Turn off The firewall, Type away and see if you get another error.

If you do, turn off NOD32 and try again.

etc -OFFLINE!
  5. darknezx

darknezx TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I've been away for the whole week.

Turned out that it wasn't the memory, because it passed everything I threw at it. Neither was it NOD32, or the spyware software. However once I uninstalled the video drivers (they were from the installation CD) and installed it only when Windows asked me to (which meant only the files that're needed, and not the Catalyst Control Centre). Weird, it solved the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.