Random Reboot/BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandmaz

I get a completely random reboot that seems unrelated to any specific activity on the computer. It happens at random times. It occurs infrequently (2 or 3 times a month). I replaced my power supply...problem still occurs. I ran MemTest86 and the Windows Memory Tester for many hours (11 passes) and ram checks out okay. I have a brand new hard drive in there and ran chkdsk. It is fine. I don't think it's a heat issue b/c it happens so randomly and my computer will work fine under heavy load. I've turned off "automatic restart" so I could get the stop error on the blue screen. Here are the three different stop errors I have recieved in my event log pertaining to the random reboot:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x0000000f, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000012 (0x00000001, 0x00000200, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf0bc597, 0xf0cf7468, 0x00000000)

Any ideas what my next troubleshooting step should be? This problem is really annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've done a lot of those steps, but will complete the ones I haven't done and hope it helps.

Well, I tried everything you suggested, and still got a random reboot. These don't appear to happen when the system is idle, but they are so random, who knows. I cannot reliably recreate these reboots.

Here are my system specs:

Operating System : Windows XP Professional
CPU/Processor : Athlon xp 2600 +
Motherboard : gigabyte 7nf-rz
Hard Disk : maxtor, Space: 120 GB
RAM: 2 sticks of 512 ddr 2700
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Video RAM : 128 MB
Sound Card : Soundblaster Live! Value

I really apprectiate any help you can provide that will help me plan a mode of attack on this issue. It is not debilitating, but is very annoying.

2 minidumps crash with unknown image, and a bugcheck of 12.

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. this is a Windows nt kernel file. It has a bugcheck of 12.

1 minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. It has a bugcheck of 7F.

1 minidump crashes at win32k.sys. This is the Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver. It has a bugcheck of 7F.

0x00000012: TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN

By its very nature, this error means that the cause of the identified problem is unknown. Especially try to track it down by noting the history of the problem, when it appeared, and what changes were made to the system since the problem first appeared, as well as noting what activity you are attempting at the time the error message appears.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for the reply. I know my memory sticks and memory slots are fine (I've run both MemTest86 and Windows memory tests on each stick for hours and hours). In your experience, what is most likely causing these errors? I have replaced my power supply and my hard drive is brand new and has no bad sectors. Any suggestions for me? What should my plan of attack be...what would you do? Again, thanks for the help!

Start by disconnecting anything not required to run your system.

Try running with just one stick of ram.

Check for overheating. Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

As you can see the bugcheck of 7F can be caused by many things. Although hardware problems seem to be the most likely culprit. But don`t rule out a software problem just yet.

Maybe you should backup your important data and reformat, and reinstall Windows.

Regards Howard :)

That was my first guess, so I replaced my power supply first. I didn't get a name-brand, but upped my wattage to 400w which is plenty for my system. Problem persisted even after replacing power supply. I doubt it was the psu. Your link is intriguing though, b/c those errors codes are the same as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back