Razer launches mechanical gaming keyboard, BlackWidow

Matthew DeCarlo

Razer has introduced the market's 'first' mechanical keyboard designed specifically for gaming. Like any mechanical keyboard (see our review of the Das Professional), the BlackWidow boasts superior tactile feedback, but its formula is a bit different. Razer claims that most competing products have stiff keys that tire fingers, making them a poor choice for gaming and that's why pros opt for membrane products.

The new creation solves that problem by reducing the vertical travel distance needed to register a keystroke. Keys are triggered at around the halfway mark. Additionally, the BlackWidow supposedly has one of the lightest actuation forces of any keyboard, so typing should be much faster than other mechanical keyboards -- all without sacrificing the clackity racket that'll drive your roommates crazy.

Other features include fully programmable keys with on-the-fly macro recording, 10 customizable profiles, five dedicated macro/gaming buttons, and common multimedia controls. The BlackWidow is currently listed in Razer's online store for $80 with an estimated ship date of September 21. A $130 "Ultimate" model adds a USB port, audio and mic jacks, and backlit keys with five levels of lighting.

Permalink to story.

Yes I did read the article, I was just curious as to why after releasing only membrane style keyboards they have decided to release a keyboard with mechanical keys like the old IBM keyboards. I was not criticizing their product I was just curious since mechanical keyboards tend to have stiffer tactile response.

Right, and the article details how they accounted for the stiffness of their mechanical keyboard.

Like the idea of the mechanical action. Great for word processing and other non-gaming apps. $80 for a non-backlit gaming kb vs. $70 for G15 might be a hard sell, and an extra $50 for backlighting and USB seems mighty steep.
Most keyboard USB pass throughs are 1.1 spec, is this model any different?

I prefer ergonomic keyboards, but might be interested in this. I already type 110wpm - be curious if I could bump up my speed any with it.

I think that the who wrote this article should do a bit more recearch. He says that Razer released the first mechanical keyboard for gaming ...

... and how about STEELSERIES 7G ???

I think that the who wrote this article should do a bit more recearch. He says that Razer released the first mechanical keyboard for gaming ...

... and how about STEELSERIES 7G ???

I think its the companies first version of the type of keyboard.

He clearly says:

"Razer has introduced the market's first
mechanical keyboard designed specifically for
gaming."

Market!

I know its Razer's first mechanical keyboard. But he says market, and that's incorrect. Besides Steelseries I think that there are at least other 2 mechanical keyboards.

Interesting keyboard. It looks like it'll suit gamers well but I'll with my Logitech Wave Corded keyboards. I've never been big on gaming keyboards anyway.

There may be other mechanical keyboards, but how many of those are really purpose built specifically for intense gaming? Mechanical keyswitch keyboards are a big thing in todays market and it's about time one was made available without gamers having to sacrifice functionality.

waiting to see some reviews on this one, Steelseries 7G uses Cherry Black switches, they require 60G and are linear.

This video helps a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDv5eWB9lU

Also I'm sorry but for that keyboards ultimate edition the price is much too high. At 130 bucks the logitech G510 is far superior.

steel-series is a gaming company the 7g is made for gaming. the 7g is awesome. this article should be updated so the lies are fixed.

http://www.steelseries.com/int/reseller/content/keyboards/steelseries_7g

Name: SteelSeries 7G
Catagory: Gaming keyboard

Yup, pretty much says it all. I personally prefer any steelseries product over a razer product. All the mice I have ever owned that were razers fell apart way too quickly for my taste and their keyboards aren't much better.

Finally! A mechanical keyboard with backlighting AND other gaming features! I'm soooo getting this. :D

The price doesn't bother me so much, as mechanical keyboard are generally expensive anyway, and this one has more features as far as I can tell.

@Princeton

That logitech hasn't got mechanical keys, so of course the razer will be more expensive. It's price is right IMO.

Guest said:

I personally prefer any steelseries product over a razer product. All the mice I have ever owned that were razers fell apart way too quickly for my taste and their keyboards aren't much better.

What do you do with them?! Smash them around the room or something? or are the Steelseries actually made of steel? :p

Back