Razer launches standalone 'Comms' platform with in-game overlay

Jos

Staff

Razer has rolled out a public beta for their new all-in-one communications solution for gamers, dubbed Razer Comms. The new service combines a VoIP client, instant messaging and IRC-chat features to offer gamers all over the world a way of communicating with each other without losing focus on whatever they’re playing.

The Windows-only application supports one-to-one chats as well as group discussions via voice or text, but the real highlight is the ability to do this with an in-game overlay that’s said to seamlessly integrate with PC games. Users can set this overlay to display either a small window or smaller ticker that shows who's speaking.

Download: Razer Comms for Windows

razer comms

Razer also promises an ultra-fast server infrastructure and complex audio algorithms for noise reduction and echo cancellation to give you the most precise, crisp and clear communication with no time-outs or lag spikes.

Of course, many multiplayer games released today already have chat functionality baked in, not to mention platforms like Steam that support the feature across its entire game library. But Razer believes gamers will still be interested in a game-agnostic solution that’ll take on similar third party options like Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

The service reportedly originated as an internal project built on the spare "10 percent passion time" of a couple of Razer engineers. But after receiving many requests to make it widely available, the company says it made the decision to turn Comms into a fully supported project with a designated team working on it.

Permalink to story.

I've never been impressed with Razer software. But, I think I'll try this out since I NEED a alternative to TS and vent.

Enjoy your typical razer half-assed xfire clone

Gotta love the typical guest response...

I agree that Razers software isn't the most advance thing out there, but I gotta hand it to them on this one. I downloaded it last night and tested it out with a few of my buddies and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are some glitches with the in game overlay when you hit Ctrl+tab, but that's to be expected with Beta software.

On a side note has anyone ever tried Adobe Axon?

Awsome, now the only problem is getting online friends worth talking to.

I have used Razer headsets, keyboards, and mice for my gaming pc. Not one piece of their hardware has failed. This software looks promising, I agree with the similarity of xfire though.

"Of course, many multiplayer games released today already have chat functionality baked in, not to mention platforms like Steam that support the feature across its entire game library."
I think about this every time I play Battlefield 3 with my friends and we have to use Steam chat or Skype. Amazing work DICE/EA...

I've never been impressed with Razer software. But, I think I'll try this out since I NEED a alternative to TS and vent.

Seriously, check out Mumble, it's the best VoIP software I have used to date! The voice quality is super crisp (Switching from vent to mumble was mind blowing) and they have in-game overlays so you can see which person in the channel is talking (great if you're letting a newcomer into your mumble server)

"Of course, many multiplayer games released today already have chat functionality baked in, not to mention platforms like Steam that support the feature across its entire game library."
I think about this every time I play Battlefield 3 with my friends and we have to use Steam chat or Skype. Amazing work DICE/EA...
I use TS for BF3. The main point is I also use TS while playing Planetside 2, despite it having a great VOIP system. TS is just more convenient.

Back