RDNA 3-powered AMD Radeon RX 7000 graphics cards could launch in December

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: With the PC world still on fire (and not all of it in a good way) over the announcement of Lovelace and yesterday's launch of the RTX 4090, it's easy to forget that AMD has its own next-gen graphics cards on the way. According to rumors, team red's Radeon RX 7000 series will arrive sometime in December following their reveal next month.

The claim comes from leaker ECSM, who has proved reliable in the past by accurately revealing the Alder Lake CPU launch dates ahead of time. They write that AMD will lift the lid on the RDNA 3-powered Radeon RX 7000 series during an official reveal in November. That's something AMD has already confirmed; the RDNA 3 event takes place on November 3.

Something AMD hasn't confirmed is the RDNA 3 launch schedule. According to ECSM, the first two cards—the "flagship" and the "second flagship"—will arrive in the second half of December. That's around the same length of time as the Radeon RX 6900 XT, which was revealed on October 28, 2020, and went on sale on December 8.

It's not entirely clear precisely what ECSM means by the first and second flagship. He could be talking about the Navi 31 and Navi 32 GPUs or two slightly different cards based on the former. It's more than likely that AMD will stick with tradition and launch the Radeon RX 7900 XT and RX 7800 XT first.

The final part of ECSM's post claims that the flagship RDNA 3 card will struggle to compete against the RTX 4090 in terms of both rasterized and ray-traced performance. But that does mean AMD will offer much more attractive prices to gamers looking to get the most bang for their buck. The leaker writes that AMD might not be as confident in terms of pricing with the Radeon lineup as it is with the Ryzen lineup.

RDNA 3 will use TSMC's 5nm node process, support AV1 encoding, and, unlike Nvidia's RTX 4000 series, comes with DisplayPort 2.0. The company says the architecture will offer a 50% performance per watt uplift over RDNA 2 thanks to a new generation of Infinity Cache, a chiplet design inspired by the recent Ryzen CPUs, an optimized graphics pipeline, and rearchitected compute units.

If you can't wait for RDNA 3, you might want to check out the AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT, which is now available for under $700.

Permalink to story.

Can't wait to see what they come up with. I doubt they can provide something faster than 4090, but I be happy to see good improvements in RT and better price/performance ratio.
I will most probably skip this generation, still happy with my 6900xt.

If the flagship card can do +10-20% performance over the 3090 Ti that is a win in my opinion. And priced accordingly. While hopefully getting temps down from the 6900 series.

Launch a 3090Ti beater for $500....that'll give Nvidia the willies!

..Watch those 4080's fade into irrelevance before they even launch.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Its not going to happen but I just want a reason, any reason to not give Nvidia any more of my money without sacrificing performance.

"compete vs nvidia" it depends , with or without Fake Frames like with dlss3 just to make big numbers on review's sites benchmarks or real performance ?

All AMD needs to do to get the gains is to make the card about 2 feet long and throw 1000w at it with mega fans to cool it and they are good to go. Nvidia style.....

What they need is a focus on drivers, tried out a 6800xt, had a boatload of driver issues and just refunded it and went back to nvidia.

as much as these cards cost now the whole package has to be on point.

Launch a 3090Ti beater for $500....that'll give Nvidia the willies!

..Watch those 4080's fade into irrelevance before they even launch.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Its not going to happen but I just want a reason, any reason to not give Nvidia any more of my money without sacrificing performance.
It's likely not possible because you cannot build that much performance for $500 and even if you could, why would AMD give up all that money? They would be better off selling for $700-750 which would be $150-200 less than the 4080 12G, while delivering similar performance.

AMD might struggle to compete with the RTX 4090

I knew it, AMD is trash!

Lord Jensen, here is my moneis!

I guess that we already started with the negativity and trashing.

Then again, looking at how competitive the 6950XT is against the 3090 and in some cases, the 3090ti yet all the media outlets never bothered in mentioning that, we can be safe that this will simply be a repeat.

It's somewhat disappointing that these cards are taking so long to come to market. AMD will have to deliver good raster performance and ok RT at a lower price point to overcome Nvidia. I think the pricing is doable, but not sure about overall performance.

I'm surprised they are waiting so late in the year to get products to consumers. Most companies like to drive year-end business to shore up the stock price. AMD seems to be banking on good holiday sales, though they will miss Black Friday (unless they do pre-sales).

It's somewhat disappointing that these cards are taking so long to come to market. AMD will have to deliver good raster performance and ok RT at a lower price point to overcome Nvidia.
The only way that AMD can overtake Nvidia (specially the media) is if they offer a GPU TODAY that its faster than the 5090Ti Super (yes correct model) and sell it for US$300!

Mind you, even after that, people would simply say "hopefully that way Nvidia will cut prices, so I can buy .....a nvidia gpu!"

Last edited by a moderator:
What they need is a focus on drivers, tried out a 6800xt, had a boatload of driver issues and just refunded it and went back to nvidia.

as much as these cards cost now the whole package has to be on point.
did you atleast DDU your old nvidia / intel driver before installing your 6800xt... ? I must be "special" I never had any driver problem with AMD gpu's on my pc and all the others I built for ppl ...and I use them since the 3D rage pro from ...1998 but hey, at least , I'm special ahah

Imho, all AMD needs to do is offer a GPU that performs between the 4080 (the actual one, not the falsely named 4070) and the 4090, has the same price as the 4080, fits in regular cases without an issue and - this is important - also offers noticeable benefits at 1440p over its predecessors.

Tbh, the 4090 is very much worth it when you are looking for 4K gaming, but only for that use case and that‘s still a limited one considering overall cost.

We‘ll see the performance eventually but it serves well to mention that pre-launch rumors for the 6900XT were ‚2080Ti plus maybe 10%‘ and we know how that turned out.

RTX 4090 doesn't need competition. It comes down to wether you are mental enough to spend that money on what is basically a toy.

They need the 7700 XT and 7600/XT to beat Nvidias counerparts. Fingers crossed it's competitive between them.

Something that performs really well at a reasonable price is what will light the market on fire. 99% of us neither need nor want a product that's positioned as a direct competitor to the 4090.

RTX 4090 doesn't need competition. It comes down to wether you are mental enough to spend that money on what is basically a toy.

They need the 7700 XT and 7600/XT to beat Nvidias counerparts. Fingers crossed it's competitive between them.
They tried that with RDNA2 and see how that went, it simply didnt matter.
All the reviewers only use a 3090 or a 3090Ti and of course, now it will be a 4090.

They all ignored the 6900 and the 6950, even though they were cheaper, simply because they werent THAT much faster than a 3090 as they wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, the AMD drivers sucks nonsense again?
I just cant anymore....
Hey, that was just my experience though, maybe I had a bad card or some weird windows gremlin, who knows, theres tons of people with amd gear who are doing just fine.

I hope AMD does step on stage with tech that'll challenge nvidia though, competition is always needed.

The only way that AMD can overtake Nvidia (specially the media) is if they offer a GPU TODAY that its faster than the 5090Ti Super (yes correct model) and sell it for US$300!

Mind you, even after that, people would simply say "hopefully that way Nvidia cut prices, so I can buy .....a nvidia gpu!"
I don't actually believe that. I think plenty of people are not happy with Nvidia for various reasons. And many people do not want to spend $1000-2000 for a GPU, especially for gaming.

I think AMD has a couple of challenges. First, they must be on-par with performance at 1080 and 1440. If they are on-par with performance they must be slightly cheaper, much like Intel did with their 13th gen CPUs. They need acceptable RT performance. I wouldn't want to buy a card that is handicapped from the get-go. RT will become more prevalent and gamers will want to turn that on as long as it doesn't impact performance. And lastly, they need to manage the power draw. The 4090 can go up to 600W and that is a lot for people that have 750 or 850 PSUs, No one wants to have to upgrade the PSU just for a GPU update.

Right now, AMD, uncharacteristically, is being seen as the more expensive upgrade option since you have to get a new mobo, ram, and maybe PSU and cooling solutions. Paying less for a GPU upgrade will help them fend off Nvidia and Intel.

AMD doesn't have to have something more powerful than the RTX 4090, that card is way out of most people's price range and needs. What they need is a more balanced lineup. That is a top tier card that falls in between the 4090 and 4080 16 GB, can be competitive with RT, and hopefully they have added ML Upscaling hardware so that FSR 3.0 can be a direct competitor to DLSS 2.0. Then they need to have sensible scaling and pricing. Something like RX 7900 XT $1100 RX 7800 XT $750 RX 7700 XT $550 7600 XT $350. No one expects 7000 to be cheaper than 6000, AMD just needs to keep the increase within reason. If the 7800 XT beats the 4080 12 GB and is $150 cheaper, that wouldn't really be that impressive honestly, because we all know the 4080 12 GB is way overpriced, but it would put AMD in a really good position.

I don't actually believe that. I think plenty of people are not happy with Nvidia for various reasons. And many people do not want to spend $1000-2000 for a GPU, especially for gaming.
We must live in different words, because except for some light comments here and there about the price of a 4090, everyone seems to have their pennies ready for Jensen,
First, they must be on-par with performance at 1080 and 1440. If they are on-par with performance they must be slightly cheaper,
They are and they did. Hell, its even cheaper now (a 6900 for 699) and even Tim and Steve said it was not cheap enough.
They need acceptable RT performance.
Agreed and depending on the game with FSR they do provide that, to a point.
That said, personally, I dont understand the damned obsession with RT now, especially when I think we are at least 2 more hardware generations away for a cheap enough main stream GPU that can provide good performance levels.
The 4090 can go up to 600W and that is a lot for people that have 750 or 850 PSUs,
I agree on that one, but I hear more people already saying that they will upgrade the PSU because the 4090 is their priority.

Right now, AMD, uncharacteristically, is being seen as the more expensive upgrade option since you have to get a new mobo, ram, and maybe PSU and cooling solutions. Paying less for a GPU upgrade will help them fend off Nvidia and Intel.
Wait, now you are mixing CPU with GPU's and once again, ignoring AND blaming AMD for the prices dictated by the mobo and RAM sellers.

Thats exactly what I am talking about, Nvidia and Intel seems to always get a free pass and AMD gets blamed for everything even when they are either not guilty or are actually offering was is requested from them.

They tried that with RDNA2 and see how that went, it simply didnt matter.
All the reviewers only use a 3090 or a 3090Ti and of course, now it will be a 4090 and ignored the 6900 and the 6950, even though they were cheaper simply because they werent THAT much faster as they wanted.
Reviewers don't matter as much as you think. Most people are looking at 60-70 series cards because that is usually where the sweet spot of price/performance is. They won't spend more than a grand for a GPU regardless of how fast it is. Fact is, Nvidia is more popular than AMD and has the "mindshare", like Nike for shoes and it's up to AMD to overtake them in performance like they did Intel.

has the "mindshare",
That is the problem and a big one.
But have you noticed that "conveniently" every time you watch a video or article, etc, there are always some boxes or GPU that by coincidence are RTX?
Product placement like this do create and feed the weak minded people to desire or want that product and trust me, those boxes and GPUs are not there simply because.

Reviewers don't matter as much as you think.
On the contrary, they are revered at the same level as celebrities. I dare you saying anything negative about Linus from LTT.

Hell, I was watching a cell phone review and the damned Tuber found a way to mention the "amazing" RTX 3090Ti for absolutely no reason? And yes, he had a box with one visible in the video. More "coincidentally" that was on the days that the GPU was launched.
Sorry but thats no coincidence.

The point is, we consumers that are looking for good info to help with our purchases need to be able to identify these biased reviews and marketing pushes and the sad reality is, AMD is simply on the losing end.

Some light reading:

I am trying to find a more recent article I read a bit ago, but the point it, they are not new to this and worse.

Back