TechSpot

Recently discovered 17 million-digit number is the world's largest prime

By Shawn Knight
Feb 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A professor at the University of Central Missouri has discovered the world’s largest Mersenne prime number, shattering the previous record prime number according to officials at mersenne.org. It’s only the 48th Mersenne prime to have ever been discovered......

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,594

I'm sure the 17 milliion-digit is the largest known number. There are probably more for people to waste their time finding.

3. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 309   +37

It's definitely not the largest known number, if you wanted to find that you could paste an infinite amount of 9s. Although this isn't really useful in any way (as far as I know), it's still pretty cool. I actually wanted to set up a program that found prime numbers using GPUs, but never got around to it.

Anyone else think that this guy should have gotten a grant of more than $3,000? It seems like a trivial amount for what is obviously a historic moment.

mrcavooter likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Money for pointless number-crunching... give me a mil, I will get you one 10-times longer, so you can put it in your pipe and smoke, you, time waster, you...

5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

I giggled, the Doctors name was Dr Cooper xD

Cota and SantistaUSA like this.
  6. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

7. Kezhen Gao

Kezhen Gao TS Rookie

I expected nothing less of Dr. Cooper! ;-)

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I *think* you meant " the 17 million digit is NOT the largest".

If that's what you meant, constants like Planck time and temperature definitely prove your hypothesis. :)

9. from Ars.
    You're missing something there.

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Omg, I so fail at math.

it was postulated that the 43rd mersenne prime will unlock the gateway to cybertron.

I'd rather painfully watch justin bieber concert than read this wiki article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime

11. Finding the biggest prime number would break all current cryptographic systems based on random prime numbers

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Are you sh**tin' me? I am so looking forward to Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift releasing a double CD of nothing but duets.......!!

That would be unconventional, to say the least! They could trash each other, and their exes while looking longingly into each others eyes. And who better to put on the cover but Kanye West, in a referee's uniform......?

So, the album could be named "Merced", which sounds fairly close to, "mersenne", while meaning "mercy", in Spanish....:p

LOL, God I crack myself up....

EDIT: To add a further touch of whimsy & irony, I'd order it through, "Amazon Prime"..

13. Actually, there are uses for large prime numbers. Cryptography is a big one. Just because you don't personally use it does not mean it is useless.

14. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,970   +738

Added the relevant link ;)

mrcavooter likes this.
  15. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

Wow. That's a big number. Lol I was just thinking what you would use that big of a number for, and you guys gracefully answered my question. hehe nice.

16. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

You made my night! :)

17. Prime numbers are useful for encryption (and possibly encoding). The larget the prime the better so I would say this is very important.

Alas, those of us who don't wark in maths do't have much use for it.

18. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 585   +100

Only $3,000? I guess there's no profit in playing the numbers. :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.