Recommend a CPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batigoal

Hi guys, my cpu's (E8400 3.06ghz) quite hot wif idle temp of 44degC to loading of 60degC. Any recommendations for a cooler?

I have no preference and am very open to suggestions =D

Notes:
-I dont care about noise. Performance is key.
-I dont have a gigantic case so i'm hoping for the normal size coolers.
-Try not to recommend something tat's more than $50.

Thanks for any recommendations xD

The ZEROTherm Nirvana NV120 is a great cooler for the price. Also, consider the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as a cheaper alternative, in case the NV120 is too pricey for you.
Also, I'd advise you to look at a new case fan as well, since those temps with a 45nm CPU are not normal (they're nothing to worry about either,so don't sweat it too much, unless you're planning to OC the CPU). You probably have high ambent temperatures in the case, which may be a problem if you're looking to OC that CPU. Otherwise, only the CPU cooler will do fine.

Sorry for the late reply..erm i juz installed the Duorb for my vga and the temp by SpeedFan shows that the Core dropped from idle 52degC to 42 and load 69degC to 56degC. Not too bad and the ambient is 36degC (i dunno if this is due to the Duorb since i didnt take down the temp b4 the Duorb is installed), which is quite cool to me but i'm still plannin to modify my case so as to add another fan at the side to bring in cool air.

The reason i wanna do tat is cos my pc STILL restarts (if u read my previous posts xD) when i'm gamin which is possibly due to heat. But i juz found out that there might be a possibility of a mobo malfunction...or maybe it's juz my cpu gettin too hot wif the stock cooler.

I'm not plannin to OC anything at all but i probably need to get another 3rd party cooler u guys mentioned to cool the cpu..damn the 45nms lol. Anyway thanks for the recommendations!

Yep, the Rifle is one amazing cooler. It's the new king, and a worthy successor to the NV120 and Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme before it. I didn't see that kpo6969 linked you to it, otherwise I'd have recommended it to you over the ones I suggested.

Yea it's one amazing cooler. However there is this point that need to be raised. The reviewer of the link given above said about this

"When applying thermal interface material to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 exposed copper heatpipe 120mm CPU cooler, it's very important to understand that most TIM's used with aluminum coolers will cause oxidation to the copper heatpipes upon contact.
Unfortunately, Xigmatek did not include any special TIM for their exposed copper base, which is an accountable oversight. While nearly any TIM will suffice, it is recommended that you do not use a material based on silicone oxide for best results and product longevity. "

Does this really matter alot? Cos i dont understand it very much haha.

As it says, you shouldn't use any thermal paste with silicon oxide in it, since it will corrode the copper heatpipes of the cooler. I think some Arctic Silver 5 compound will do, since it is mainly metal-based in nature.

No problem. Be careful when applying it though, since AS5 conducts electricity, so you don't want it anywhere on your motherboard or any other place where it can cause damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back