Recommended software in TechSpot newsletters

allesok

1. HaoZip was recommended. It really seems very interesting but I strongly advice to NOT install it, in any case not the portable version. It messed up an important file association and I removed it - the portable version. But then I also had to go trough the Registry and remove around 800 HaoZip entries!

I can only hope that the non-portable version has an uninstaller that does that job for you...

2. A newsletter recommended TweakNow Powerpack as FREEWARE - It isn't! You have to buy something to get it registered, either pay for it or buy another product offered on their webpage...

Please tell the truth in the recommendations...

I doubt anyone was trying to deceive you. I found several sites for download of the program. It is advertised as Freeware. But it a program that appears to be skirting around with a free download with the following Disclaimers:

TweakNow PowerPack 2012 Version: 4.2.1
License: Shareware ($15)*

*This is a one time license fee. Once purchased you may upgrade to all future versions of TweakNow PowerPack for free.

Get it free with TrialPay!
TweakNow PowerPack 2012

Single-User License for TweakNow PowerPack 2012

Fully integrated suite of utilities that let you fine-tune every aspect of your computer's operating system and Web browser.
Regularly: $15.00
Now: $0.00
How does this work? Try or buy one offer from your preferred brands and get your favorite products—free. TrialPay uses money from the advertiser to pay for your product. It's that easy.

You may want to stay away from this one> 2 reasons:
1. The information is clearly ambiguous
2. Many of us don't recommend anyone use a registry cleaner. The risk far outweight any small benefit you might get.
--------------------------------
As for Hao.Zip
It is listed as a 40-day trial Farewell. Did you open the program first to see if it had it's own uninstaller?

Thank you for giving the feedback on your experience with these programs.

I doubt anyone was trying to deceive you. I found several sites for download of the program. It is advertised as Freeware. But it a program that appears to be skirting around with a free download with the following Disclaimers:

You may want to stay away from this one> 2 reasons:
1. The information is clearly ambiguous
2. Many of us don't recommend anyone use a registry cleaner. The risk far outweight any small benefit you might get.
--------------------------------
As for Hao.Zip
It is listed as a 40-day trial Farewell. Did you open the program first to see if it had it's own uninstaller?

Thank you for giving the feedback on your experience with these programs.

The portable version of HaoZip has no uninstaller. Portable programs (almost) never have.
As you see, one has to pay for SOMETHING to get a license for TweakNow - either for the program itself or for one of the offered products. Only in the latter case do you get a "free" license on top of the purchase.

A "free" download doesn't mean FREEWARE if it is only a trial version that expires after some time!
True freeware is is really free and never expires...

I am only giving you the information I found.This is not accurate:
True freeware is is really free and never expires...
This might help:
Freeware vs Free software
Software classified as freeware is licensed at no cost and is either fully functional for an unlimited time; or has only basic functions enabled with a fully functional version available commercially or as shareware.In contrast to free software, the author usually restricts one or more rights of the user, including the rights to copy, distribute, modify and make derivative works of the software or extract the source code
Additional information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

The download on TechSpot has: License: Freeware
By definition, this has not been referred to as "free Software. I realize that you think the 2 terms mean the same thing.

We, the members at large do not compose the newsletter. Each of us has our own understanding of terminology- sometimes we have to revise it.

I guess there are those that never adopted the Trialware title, as they would rather pedal their software with the term Freeware instead.

I know my opinion never matters but here it is anyway.
If software is not free regardless of limitation that maybe implemented, it should not be classified as Freeware.

I agree to the last post. Trialware is the right name. True freeware can be FUNCTIONALLY limited but not TIME limited.
So I suggest to revise the understanding of the terminology, even though it is a too common marketing trick to brand as freeware what in reality isn't.
A functionally limited FREEWARE is either given away as a "light" version or as a "basic" version without a time limit, and for more functions you then have to buy a license for a "pro" or "full" version.
It might to some extent be seen as "crippleware" but not "dyingware" and is something many a user is satisfied with (having enough functions for him), but can keep running forever.

Some more thoughts:
Abusing (as it then effectively is, whatever the "legal" definition may be) the term "freeware" against the common understanding of the word can be contraproductive. The one who has installed it may in disappointment (feeling bluffed) throw it out again without even trying it, or may even become motivated to seek a serial number or crack in the Internet. In this particular case I don't find the product interesting enough to keep. But it is a matter of principle and honesty.

HaoZip really seems interesting, but after the disappointment with the portable version I don't think that I will try the "normal" version that is to be installed. Yet it is, of course, quite possible that it has an uninstaller that also clears the registry, but as we know, some uninstallers don't do that but only remove basic data.

1. HaoZip was recommended. It really seems very interesting but I strongly advice to NOT install it, in any case not the portable version. It messed up an important file association and I removed it - the portable version. But then I also had to go trough the Registry and remove around 800 HaoZip entries!

I can only hope that the non-portable version has an uninstaller that does that job for you...
but after the disappointment with the portable version I don't think that I will try the "normal" version that is to be installed. Yet it is, of course, quite possible that it has an uninstaller that also clears the registry, but as we know, some uninstallers don't do that but only remove basic data.
Portable versions don't have installers, so therefore no registry entries to be removed. One of the points behind an installer is to add registry entries that a program may require to run correctly. If the program is truly portable, there is no need for registry entries in order for the program to function properly.

If the portable version does in fact add registry entries without an installer, I would be more worried about programing motives for doing so.

Of course they don't have installers, but some portables may make entries in the Registry when used. HaoZip portable requested to establish associations with compressed file types. It may have happened then, if not before.

Unfortunately, in all walks of business, terminology can be stretched to the limits or even be abused in order to serve the promoter’s interests. Since we’re not lawyers, which should not be interpreted as meaning that lawyers necessarily know better, the term freeware should be used by serious sites like TS as meaning truly free as intrinsically understood by a simple user.

So, as said above,
  • Free download does not mean true freeware, neither does of course free trial
  • Time and number of runs limitations disqualify a product from being truly free
  • But also severe usage limitations can do that, for example watermarking or not allowing the saving of images produced
  • Worse, the presence of adware financing a product should likewise not be accepted, whether such presence is declared in the EULA (which nobody reads) or concealed altogether.
I stress that none of the above implies any intention of misleading on the part of TS.

As regards portable programs, the term just means what it says, namely that the program (folder) can be carried from one system to another without installation, or be run from a portable memory stick wherever this is plugged into.

The term does not mean that the program makes no registry or filesystem entries. Many do. Furthermore, such registry entries, if made, may stay behind when the program is removed. In fact, talking in general, even an uninstaller is not guaranteed to remove all registry entries. This should not be interpreted as meaning that I advocate the use of registry cleaners, I don’t. It means that care should be exercised in selecting portable programs.

There are of course truly portable programs, sometimes referred to as stealth, which if launched, used and terminated properly, do not leave behind any entries in the registry or filesystem. Unfortunately, this important characteristic is not always declared.

Thanks for the comments. I feel that this issue has now had the attention it deserves and hope that "freeware", "trialware" and the like may be used more carefully in the future.

Thanks for the comments. I feel that this issue has now had the attention it deserves and hope that "freeware", "trialware" and the like may be used more carefully in the future.

1. About the portable version of Haozip... where did you get that? We only have the regular installer listed. I didn't even find it the Haozip web page http://www.haozip.com/Eng/download.htm
Anyways, I tried the program out briefly and later uninstalled it with no apparent issues (in all fairness didn't go through the registry to see the changes made but everything seemed fine). Because we do a background check before adding programs to the TS db, I can tell you right off the bat, that in general Haozip is a recommended software around the web. We've had cases where software goes bad after we add it but I believe this is not the case for Haozip. However, we will look into it in further detail.

2. We changed all TweakNow products in the TS database from 'Freeware' to 'Shareware' to avoid further confusion. Thanks for the feedback and it has been noted for future cases.

I think it isn't a bad idea to first try a portable version of a new software and portables anyway "load" the system less, usually.
So I searched "HaoZip portable" and found several sources, but I don't remember from where I downloaded it.
Maybe I should have used the real installer instead ...

Try searching the Registry for "HaoZip" and see what you find...

Portable versions are cool, but when they are not official or not coming from a trusted source, it's harder to verify the program has not been modified or that third party code has been added on the side. So something to keep in mind.

Back