Recover Deleted Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

Oye. Where to start. I had a problem on my comptuer, so I had to reinstall XP. All is well. I have "roaming profiles" set up on a "server" [really is just my profile on a XP Pro machine w/ a big hard drive]. They are on their own partition. I set my new install machine profile point to the place where it should be. I wanted to use it right away and not wait for it to copy the 12gb of My Documents to my computer at the moment, so I moved them to a different folder. I logged on, and did what I wanted to do. Then I moved My Documents back to the profile folder on the server. Logged off of my computer and logged back on. My Documents is GONE! Apparently, since when I logged on there wasn't a My Documents, and when I logged off, it was there, Windows thought it would get rid of it...and it did. I tried several data recovery programs, and only one was able to recover some of my files, but about 90% of them are useless. A document is just a bunch of ¿♫┬Ya94â~9å╘╚A ect ect. Pictures are unreadable, music is corrupt. I'm very organized, and have everything set up into folders and sub-folders upon sub-folders ect. I'd like to not have to find out where everything goes, but if all else fails, I guess I could. Its about 12gb, and if there is any way of getting it back, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I called a guy who does this for a living, $500 flat rate, and if successsful $100/gb. It's not worth that much, but it has a LOT of value to me. Can anyone please help me?

I was afraid that's all the help I'd get, is just programs to try. Thanks for your help, but the data has been overwriteen, [someone dind't know it wasn't to be used and turned it on]. Thanks though.

I don't want to sound smug, but you should have made backups of your personal data, long before you even started with Partition Magic.
Especially File Scavenger has had good rates of success with a number of people on this forum.
And if your data was that precious, why did you let anyone else on your PC before you got that problem solved?
I feel for your loss but (close the barn after the horse has bolted..., etc.)

Thats the kick in the crotch. Those WERE the backups. That whole computer is dedicated to backing up/being a server. I had them on that and my computer. MY computer had a problem, and I reinstalled XP. That's why it happened the way it did. I got some of the files back, but oh well. I'm looking at it as I was holding on to memories and crap I didn't need ect ect [ways to make me feel better about it ;)]

Would restoring the registry work? I have some older registrys backed up, from RegClean. I know on this computer, when I booted a few days ago, it said there was a problem with the registry and restored an older one, and some files I deleted were back on the desktop. Any chance?

The registry has very little to do with the contents of a file.
However, since that PC is mucked up anyway, you could give it a shot.
But take an image BEFORE you try it, to be sure, to be sure...

Hello,

DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was
easily able to restore lost file and unformat drive, so I think you will
also find it quite useful. Really recommended tool, give it a try.

http://www.easeus.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back