Redhat 7.2 and Abit KR7A-Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

After spending time installing redhat7.2 on a p3 450mhz i decided i want the most out of linux and my resources, and that is using linux on my Amd Athlon XP 1900+ system. The only problem is, that if you type 'Abit Kr7a-raid + Linux' into google.com you'll find that almost everyone has found these two things together to be incompatible. However, i did find this post with someone who got it to work. Can someone explain to me what 'Bobgun' did because i dont really understand what he means, and his email is not listed on the forum. Thanks!

The way I see it is you download a driver, put it in a floppy disk, boot to Red Hat installer, and when it asks "Do you have a driver disk?" you say yes, the disk being in your floppy drive. At some point this driver seems to be added to Linux kernel. I don't know these "steps" they're referring to, I don't have a Red Hat manual.

really phantasm? i hope so, my problems stem from the fact that i do not know how to use linux, dont know how to flash a bios really, dont know how to update highpoint drivers, etc. i hope that they fix this annoyance...i've heard that 7.3 is out, is that true?

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
my problems stem from the fact that i do not know how to use linux, dont know how to flash a bios really, dont know how to update highpoint drivers, etc.
Will you learn if you install "problem-free" OS's & applications? There was a time when I didn't know these things either ;)

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Will you learn if you install "problem-free" OS's & applications? There was a time when I didn't know these things either ;)

I could not agree more! :)

Its fixing these kinds of problems that will make you learn more.

this is true, this is true. Has anyone actually have Linux Redhat 7.3, final not beta? Have you read anything p66 that makes u think that my problem will be fixed with the raid, or is it only a guess.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
this is true, this is true. Has anyone actually have Linux Redhat 7.3, final not beta? Have you read anything p66 that makes u think that my problem will be fixed with the raid, or is it only a guess.

Redhat 7.3 is not out yet, unless you want to try the beta.

From what I have read, the kinds of problems you are experiencing would be solved with later drivers for some of your hardware and a later kernel, which this new version of Red Hat will have.

I am not promising that this is the solution, but I have seen many similar cases solved in Red Hat simply by using a later version that had more bugs ironed out in the kernel.

I think there's a good chance you will be pleasantly suprised when you get this and try it.

alright excellent, im anticipating 7.3 now. Maybe i can learn a couple of the basics in 7.2 until the final release of 7.3 comes out, unless u think i should just get the beta.

Well I will imagine that whilst a great number of things will be changed from the beta to the final release, including the final kernel that ships with 7.3, you will almost certainly get a later kernel with the beta.

According to www.kernel.org we are up to 2.4.18 in terms of the stable stream of kernels. Perhaps even the kernel that DOES ship with 7.3 final version will be the same one that comes with the beta.

Methinks it is this kernel that is the source of your problems, and the driver modules that come along with it.

If you think you can be bothered, there is nothing to stop you downloading the beta now, and trying it, and then seeing if there is any great improvement. If so, play with the beta a little and then do a clear install of the final version when its released.

You are looking for a folder called "skipjack" I believe.... The beta folder in any red hat ftp mirror should have this. Consult Red Hat's web site for a list of mirrors, and find one near you. Investigate if this has a beta folder and there should be a skipjack folder inside....

Of course, there may be other problems associated with using a beta version..... But I am sure that for your own computing experience it would be a good idea to try the beta out..... why not??? All you will waste is a few hours download time and about an hour or so install if it does not work.

Please post any further experiences, either positive or negative, here.....

Red Hat Linux 7.3/8.0 Coming Soon -- Beta 2 (SkipJack) Released
8 April 2002

Look for the next Red Hat Linux distribution soon. Red Hat official spokes-people are keeping mum about it. However, it likely will be called either Red Hat Linux 7.3 or Red Hat Linux 8.0.

Typically, Red Hat Linux is revised twice a year. Red Hat 7.2 was released in October 2001, and Red Hat 7.1 was released 16 April 2001. If history repeats, look for Red Hat Linux 7.3/8.0 around mid-April 2002.

Red Hat Software has released the second beta of its upcoming, Red Hat Linux 7.3/8.0 Linux distribution -- code-named Skipjack-Beta2 . Its predecessor, Red Hat Linux 7.2 is an excellent product.

According to the Skipjack-Beta2 announcement and other Red Hat information, Skipjack-Beta2 has the 2.4.18 Linux kernel and includes GNOME 1.4 (including Evolution), XFree86 4.2.0, and Mozilla 0.9.9.

We have not checked Red Hat Linux Skipjack-Beta2 yet. However, here is the meat of the Red Hat Skipjack-Beta2 announcement. Links for more information about Red Hat Linux 7.2 and for downloading Red Hat Linux 7.2 after the Skipjack-Beta2 announcement.

Subject: Announcing the second public beta of Red Hat Linux: Skipjack

Date: 5 Apr 2002 23:08:35 +0200

It's time for another installment of "As The Packages Churn." In today's episode, the young Cups McDriver continues her quest to wrestle away control of Printers, Ltd. from the powerful L.P.R. Meanwhile a visitor to Skipjack, Alternatives de Debian, tries to mend fences between Hendrik Postfix and Pixie Sendmail. Also Mayor Kernel, still recovering from recent recompiling, tries to bring peace within the Desktop crime syndicate, as the war for control escalates between Keyser Denis Edwards and Gnome Widget.

Can the little town of Skipjack survive if Keyser Denis uses the dragon? What devastation would result from Gnome putting his foot down? And what if the lovely Alternatives can't mend the symbolic links which are so much a part of Hendrik's and Pixie's lives?

All these questions . . . and more . . . are answered in the second public beta of SKIPJACK. Much like the first beta, it's packed with the very latest technology, including:

- the 2.4.18 kernel

- XFree86 4.2.0

- GNOME 1.4, including Evolution

- Mozilla 0.9.9

and much, much more

Red Hat does not recommend the use of beta software on mission critical or production systems. In fact, all of the bits have been specially marked "beta" and your machine will know (hope you don't have stairs in your house.)

If/when you find bugs, please report them at:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla

Please use the "Red Hat Public Beta" product and the "skipjack-beta2" version.

Also note that upgrades from one beta to another are never supported by Red Hat. In particular, upgrades from the first public beta of Skipjack are known to cause problems, so please perform a fresh installation.

SKIPJACK can be found at a number of places around the world. Specifically:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/skipjack/

or, at the following mirrors:

[Big snip]

or check http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html for a mirror near you.

[Big Snip]

source:http://mozillaquest.com/Linux02/RHAT_7-3_beta-2-released_story-01.html

So the new Red Hat Linux, whether called 7.3 or 8.0, should materialise pretty soon if the traditional cycle of Red Hat release dates holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back