TechSpot

Redhat 7.2 and Abit KR7A-Raid

By PHATMAN5050
Apr 9, 2002
  1. After spending time installing redhat7.2 on a p3 450mhz i decided i want the most out of linux and my resources, and that is using linux on my Amd Athlon XP 1900+ system. The only problem is, that if you type 'Abit Kr7a-raid + Linux' into google.com you'll find that almost everyone has found these two things together to be incompatible. However, i did find this post with someone who got it to work. Can someone explain to me what 'Bobgun' did because i dont really understand what he means, and his email is not listed on the forum. Thanks!

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

The way I see it is you download a driver, put it in a floppy disk, boot to Red Hat installer, and when it asks "Do you have a driver disk?" you say yes, the disk being in your floppy drive. At some point this driver seems to be added to Linux kernel. I don't know these "steps" they're referring to, I don't have a Red Hat manual.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

I think your probs are about to be fixed in Red Hat 7.3, Phat.

4. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

really phantasm? i hope so, my problems stem from the fact that i do not know how to use linux, dont know how to flash a bios really, dont know how to update highpoint drivers, etc. i hope that they fix this annoyance...i've heard that 7.3 is out, is that true?

5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Will you learn if you install "problem-free" OS's & applications? There was a time when I didn't know these things either ;)

7. Phantasm66

I could not agree more! :)

Its fixing these kinds of problems that will make you learn more.

8. PHATMAN5050

this is true, this is true. Has anyone actually have Linux Redhat 7.3, final not beta? Have you read anything p66 that makes u think that my problem will be fixed with the raid, or is it only a guess.

9. Phantasm66

Redhat 7.3 is not out yet, unless you want to try the beta.

From what I have read, the kinds of problems you are experiencing would be solved with later drivers for some of your hardware and a later kernel, which this new version of Red Hat will have.

I am not promising that this is the solution, but I have seen many similar cases solved in Red Hat simply by using a later version that had more bugs ironed out in the kernel.

I think there's a good chance you will be pleasantly suprised when you get this and try it.

10. PHATMAN5050

alright excellent, im anticipating 7.3 now. Maybe i can learn a couple of the basics in 7.2 until the final release of 7.3 comes out, unless u think i should just get the beta.

11. Phantasm66

Well I will imagine that whilst a great number of things will be changed from the beta to the final release, including the final kernel that ships with 7.3, you will almost certainly get a later kernel with the beta.

According to www.kernel.org, we are up to 2.4.18 in terms of the stable stream of kernels. Perhaps even the kernel that DOES ship with 7.3 final version will be the same one that comes with the beta.

Methinks it is this kernel that is the source of your problems, and the driver modules that come along with it.

If you think you can be bothered, there is nothing to stop you downloading the beta now, and trying it, and then seeing if there is any great improvement. If so, play with the beta a little and then do a clear install of the final version when its released.

You are looking for a folder called "skipjack" I believe.... The beta folder in any red hat ftp mirror should have this. Consult Red Hat's web site for a list of mirrors, and find one near you. Investigate if this has a beta folder and there should be a skipjack folder inside....

Of course, there may be other problems associated with using a beta version..... But I am sure that for your own computing experience it would be a good idea to try the beta out..... why not??? All you will waste is a few hours download time and about an hour or so install if it does not work.

Please post any further experiences, either positive or negative, here.....

12. Phantasm66

source:http://mozillaquest.com/Linux02/RHAT_7-3_beta-2-released_story-01.html

So the new Red Hat Linux, whether called 7.3 or 8.0, should materialise pretty soon if the traditional cycle of Red Hat release dates holds true.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.