TechSpot

registry error question

By gingerbill
Apr 14, 2004
  1. i use windows XP home edition with service pack 1 . Lately quite often when i boot up my computer and i get a windows registry error . below is what the message says .

windows-registry recovery
    one of the files containing the system registry data had to be recovered due to the use of a log or alternative copy . recovery was succesful.

any ideas what is causing this?? , can i find out what file is causing it anyway??

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Do you do your PC-maintenance faithfully? Like first running CHKDSK and then defrag (at least once a month, better every week)?

3. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 210   +27

i didnt no , didn run it for about 5 months (defrag) . think all this problem started when i installed new nvidia drivers , but cant be sure . have gone back to old drivers (using detonator RIP) . might be nothing to do with nvidia drivers . I was hoping there was a log or text file that might tell me which file is causing the problems . think i might just re-install windows :(

4. bullet

bullet TS Rookie

Problem solved

i also had this problem "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by the use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was succesful" -> the problem is in the userprofile. When this user logs on to another machine the problem stays. => give the user a new profile and the problem is solved

5. wurms

wurms TS Rookie Posts: 16

This problem has also been associated with faulty Ram, so try swapping out Ram before you format your HD or do anything to drastic. I had this problem with one of the computers here at work and thought it was an OS issue. After imaging the HD from a computer that was clean the problem still popped up telling me it's hardware related. I swapped out the ram and it was fixed.

6. and4e

and4e TS Rookie

I was having the same problem in XP pro SP2, I did a thorough chkdsk scan and it fixed the problem. I guess my HD is getting old...

update: My computer froze again and now I get three of the same error message when Windows boots up... 2 before choosing a user, and one that is user specific. chkdsk didn't fix this one, neither did swapping ram or anything like that. I think I'll try repairing my windows install, if that doesn't work I might have to reformat...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.