Registry Repair Pro or CCleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazuzu

I recently downloaded "Windows Registry Repair Pro" from 3bsoftware. It identified 180 registry errors. I had previously run CCleaner & scanned for "Issues" which showed no registry conflicts.
As the evaluation version of Repair Pro will only fix the first 30 errors I am left wondering if its worth paying the $9.99 (USD) for the full version. At the moment there do not seem to be any serious problems - although Windows 98 seems to crash on me quite often with things just freezing requiring a restart / re-boot.

CCleaner is not the proper tool for registry errors. CC cleans the crap from IE, temp files and other junk. It may do a superficial scan, but you should not rely on that.

Be very wary of the registry 'fix' programs.
Some use every single line under one header to get an 'impressive' tally and scare the living daylights out of you, hoping you will buy their piece of junk.
Others use the opportunity to make their own entries and 'open' your PC for 'remote control'.

The only reliable free programs -that I know off- are Erunt and NTRegOpt:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Thank you for that succinct response. As the Erunt & NTRegOpt are for use with Windows NT & I have 98 I guess that they would not be suitable. In any case I suspect that used carelessly any tools for altering the registry would have a seriously adverse effect !
"if it aint broke, don't fix it" :zz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back