Remote desktop advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Years ago, I had admin control over 100+ PCs on an internal network, so I know how superb it can be, but access from outside a network is a new thing.

I now need to set up remote control access for a few users (fewer than 5 at any one time), but I have no current experience of the optimum way of going about it.

Expert advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a Netware 6.5 IP-only internal network with no outside (internet) connection as yet.

I have lots of questions...

Do I have to have a dedicated internal PC for each remote user I need to connect?

Do I need high-speed connections, or would modem connection be fast enough, since only screen refresh and keyboard/mouse commands need to be transmitted?

Does the internal PC need to be continuously polling a phone line, or can a dial-up user make a connection as and when required?

Could I share a hardware or software firewall among several remote users, so there is only one incoming broadband line (even if several internal PCs need to be connected to it), or do I need several phone lines?

How can I make the external connections bullet-proof security wise?

Could a remote desktop be used with internal PC's running Win98 or must they be upgraded to XP?

Is it possible to use Windows XP pro remote assist instead of buying extra software like PC anywhere, GoToMyPC, Remote control Pro etc.

Is it possible to print on the remote client PC instead of the internal networked PC if desired?

any suggestions and advice most gratefully received.

I myself have just started to poke around in this thing about remote desktop so i can answer a few of those questions, but am no means an expert.. you'll be looking at Rick or Samstoned to answer the other stuff :)

Could a remote desktop be used with internal PC's running Win98 or must they be upgraded to XP?

Is it possible to use Windows XP pro remote assist instead of buying extra software like PC anywhere, GoToMyPC, Remote control Pro etc.
Well, you just need to install the client or server program into that machine to Remote Desktop to it.. with Win98, you can use the WinRD program included in the WinXP cd (or download from MS) to install it on there.

Although i gave up on trying to figure out how WinRD works and went to download TightVNC instead (freeware). Much more simple to use etc..

Re: connections, you can use compression settings if you need to RD something over a slow connection.. Over a normal network its not too bad, since you have about 100mb/s (or 1gb/s) bandwidth to play with..

There is something called VPN (use an internet connection to connect to a network thing) which i reckon you should look into maybe instead of installing multiple phone lines lol..

In terms of security measures, you can only hope that the user on the other end knows their common sense in what they download being crapware or the sorts.. Firewall is good.

Just bouncing ideas... :)

lookup radmin
send the client the exe via dwnld link from your website or email it to them it is small
they will need to know there WAN ip address and the default port number for remoting
I use bout 2yrs ago worked great
xp remoting worked for awhile and some reason (me ) quite
could not get it to work again (firewall (security) who knows
radmin never gave a hiccup
vnc is free radmin is not
there are remote hosting providers for top end IT's it is a monthly service
I have not tried but looks great, verizon uses one of them, very fast.

good luck

a firewall with proper settings AND a VPN connection is the safest way to do this.

if you're trying to manage corporate assests behind its firewall, you need to
negotiate with the I.S. department as they will naturally block this.

gotomypc.com is great, but it is a fee service after 30days.

Thanks for the support

Thanks to N3051M, jobeard and Samstoned.

respecting VPN, as I understand it, VPN is a direct network connection into the server, so your remote PC does the work. In a client-server environment, that is fine, but this is not client-server, and each networked client really needs the full 100Mb as I painfully proved that to the MD recently, simply by connecting over an old 10Mb switch :)

Thus the essential call for a remote control over an internal PC with the full 100Mb available.

GoToMyPC looks good - anybody out there with practical advice on it? btw, I am the I.T. department, so no problems there !

Samstoned suggests radmin. Never heard of that one, so research to do on that

Thanks to all....any more offers???

going to check netop by danware
looks like a good one and I may need it myself
for a single job hope the trial isn't crippled

Take a look at NetSupport Manager also - this is what I use to manage 450+ machines at work.

GoToMyPC

GoToMyPC is a great application. I use it to remote into several remote offices that do not have servers. It can be a little expensive though. $600 a year for 4 users. But really easy to use. You can access the remote station from any system connected to the net by going to www.GoToMyPC.com and logging in to your account. You can add and drop the number of connections at will as well

Cheers

gbhall said:
GoToMyPC looks good - anybody out there with practical advice on it? btw, I am the I.T. department, so no problems there !

Thanks to all....any more offers???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back