remove sis splash screen from startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukehella

When I boot my Win2000 partion I get an ugly display on my desktop that takes up about a 4"x5" chunk in the middle of my screen.It says
MULTIMEDIA
Silicon Integrated Systems
INTEGRATION
(and a bunch of other garish crap)-my words,not the display
..........................................................................................................
This started after I installed the SiS multimedia driver package v1.08(I have SiS 730 drivers).It doesn't really hurt anything,but it is pretty fugly.I want to remove it but every time I see a likely registry entry that might be causing it I chicken out of editing it,since I can't find anything I'm sure is causing it.
It looks like it is in the local machine\..............\run area,probaly a thingamajiggy(excuse the high tech talk) called
SiS KHooker,but that is just my best guess.I don't want to get in to far over my head(or do I?)and could use some advice before I forge blindly onward and ruin my life(and machine).Any advice would be greatly appreciated.There has to be a simple and safe way to do this.

Is there anything under msconfig that looks like it might be it? thats far less bad if you muck something up.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Is there anything under msconfig that looks like it might be it? thats far less bad if you muck something up.

Agreed. It is probably some sort of SiS "program" that has some silly features for adjusting things.. etc..

It would be prudent to get rid of it by using msconfig in the Start/Run prompt. Then change your startup programs accordingly, looking for anything that might be related to SiS and getting rid of it.

See that is an issue.I am fairly new to Win2000.I got a new hard drive and cloned my old Win98 hard drive to a primary partition so I had all my familiar stuff.Then I did a clean install of Win2000 on another partition and added software to it as needed.The driver on the Win2000 CD wouldn't support 16bit color so I went to the motherboard manufacturers website and got the previously mentioned driver,It works fine except for the wretched looking display in the middle of the screen.
So I said OK no problem-I'll just run msconfig and take it out of the startup stuff.But when I tried that I got an error message saying -
Cannot findthe file 'msconfig'(or one of it's components)
Make sure the path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available.
Not being all that great with 2000 I assumed it was like scandisk,replaced by another program or eliminated.I looked in 3 reference books on Win 2000 and none of them mentioned msconfig.Then I ran a filesearch on the Win 2000 partition and it didn't find any trace of msconfig.Thats when I started looking for a registry hack.
Has msconfig been replaced by something else?Scandisk is now replaced by chkdisk which i think was used in Win3.1-but I might be wrong,it's been along day.
Thanks for any advice.

Rick posted while I was writing the above response.I tried all the options in the SiS program that loads in the system tray if you let it.At least one of the options is to not have it load in the tray on the next boot,but nothing about the huge display-hence the dreaded registry edit thoughts.

Lol i had that dam thing on my last computer and didnt go after i uninstalled the graphics card and drivers.

After some sleep I got bold and went into the registry with a vengence.However after I deleted every SiS reference (delete one ,reboot-delete another,reboot etc.I still had the same problem................The plot thickens.
There is one entry called SIS DESIGN.it has a subfolder called parameters.On the right side are 3 entries- CACHE,MIXERand DEFAULT I deleted MIXER and CACHE but when I tried to remove DEFAULT I got a message saying -
Error deleting values Unable to delete all specified values
It (DEFAULT)wouldn't go away.I rebooted and to my chagrin,CACHE and MIXER had reappeared.I repeated the process-same thing.
There are some hex numbers to the right under the heading DATA,I would try changing them,but I have no idea what to change them to.Am I at least on the right track?
Any ideas how or where MIXER and CACHE are being called up from?

Hey TWEAKSTER-Is that why it's your old computer?Did it suffer from a wall contact related trauma?(As in thrown against)

Well I live south of Baltimore and we are under a tornado watch until 7 O'clockPM.I better shut down or I might not have to worry about it.Then again I might just put in out in the front lawn until after the storm passes ,nothing else seems to help.

COMPUTERS-They allow us to solve problems we wouldn't have if we didn't have computers.

Well it turned out to be so simple I couldn't see it.
When I installed Win2k I used the most recent driver available v1.08. I don't have any service packs installed so I guess it didn't want to play nice or something.
All I did was uninstall v1.08 and reinstalled one of the first versions that came out.End of story.
I sure did learn a lot about the Win2k registry though.Lost a lot of sleep to.
Thanks to all who offered advice

Search for the picture itself, and either delete it or replace it with something else.
I imagine it would be under your SiS directory, perhaps "splash.jpg".

I might have not been clear in my last post-I was wound up .I got the problem resolved.
I like the ***** Outside logo.As you can see in my victory post above,it sure applied in my case.

***** Outside is a case badge I wanted...

Such with the spirit of Mictlantecuhtli w/ Evil Inside...

I'm such a retard. Sorry for not seeing that post :p :rolleyes:

p.s. -> this reminds me of poertner in the IRC channel thread, where he reported on lncpapa's stats bot, but papa had just posted it a few posts ago...lol, I feel your pain poertner!

HUH????

Such with the spirit of Mictlantecuhtli w/ Evil Inside... ??????? OK,I'll ask.
What exactly does this mean?It rates about a 9.5 on the arcane reference scale.:confused:

i presume the SiS multimedia v1.8 came with my computer... but i did not realise this and thought it was another thing it seems to have downloaded by itself so i deleted it and now my display is very poor, that must have been my only display driver?! recommend not deleting things unless you know what they are! any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back