Removing Private Certificates From Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kralnor

Howdy Techspot

I can't seem to remove one of the private certificates from Firefox that I no longer use. Whenever I try to delete it, it just reappars when Firefox' Certificate properties are reopened.

Does anyone know how to remove personal certificates from Firefox?

Your certificates and keys are kept in the cert8.db and key3.db files in your FF profile. There is no way to edit them though - you can just delete the whole thing and let FF recreate it.

Okay, it's not a huge issue for me to have unused certificates show up when I visit sites that require them so I suppose I will leave it alone. Just slightly annoying ;)

Cheers for the reply.

Just so the Googlers know...

This thread is old, but I thought I'd drop my two sense in because it was the first link on my Google search.

The certificates are all located inside of Tools > Options then the Advanced tab (all the way to the left) The the Encryption tab. You'll see a button labeled View Certificates

The certificate one is probably trying to delete will be located in "Your Certificates" or "People." There's a chance it'll be listed inside of "Servers" but you more than likely don't want to delete anything in the "Authorities" list, because these are the root servers the system is using to verify other servers. I suppose you could catch some terrible bug that would frig those up. In that case, though, I'd probably try deleting the above files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back