TechSpot

Removing W2k from dual-boot w/ W2k

By joemck
Mar 6, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have two W2k installations on my computer and would like to remove the old one. I have all that I want to copy over from the old one and just want to totally remove the old W2k from my machine. I haven't the first clue how to do this . Honestly I don't know how I ended up with two W2k on my system. I thought I was just reinstalling W2k. Anyway, any help will be appreiciated.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

The instance of Win2K that you wish to remove, where is it located ? Locate the boot.ini file on C: & remove the entry of the obsolete Win2K. Then it should only be a matter of removing the program-files & winnt folder of the OS that you no longer use. Double check & triple check before you delete that folder & you shouldn't have any problems.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If the instance you want to remove, is on the C-drive, DON'T delete the following from the C-root:
    - boot.ini
    - boot.bak (if there)
    - cmldr (if there)
    - ntdetect.com
    - ntldr

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.