Replace Vista with XP on Acer aspire

By warnerve
Aug 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello I have a Acer Aspire 4730z that was preloaded with vista and i would like to put XP on it. I have reformatted my desktop pc a hundred times sucessfully but when i booted from the XP disc on my laptop, it will not allow me to install.(option is greyed out). So i downloaded a hdd wiper, switched the cd-rom to first in boot order, and cleared the hd's. now when i boot from xp disc it loads all the way up to the "starting windows" message and then an error screen.

Technical infromation

stop: 0x0000007b

I realize this means it isnt recognizing my drives. apparently i deleted something i shouldnt have.. please help

thank you
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,280   +180

You probably need to install SATA drivers but without a floppy drive you'll have to make a slipstream CD. Google for the procedure as well as for the SATA driver. There are a number of guides that tell you how.
  3. warnerve

warnerve Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

While searching for drivers i found ta post for my specific problem.

Just had to go into bios-main-sata mode then switched it from AHCI to IDE.

Windows booted and xp is installing now. I will still have to load drivers i believe. I will post my progress.

thanks for the help!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.