Replacing a laptop hard drive

By Partian Shot
Dec 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

My laptop's hard drive has been getting worse and worse in the past 2 months, eg. freezing for up to an hour at a time, heating up to painful temperatures until it overheats and crashes. But today she finally died and is completely unable to start.

A systems diagnostic gave error 2000-146, which apparently means hard drive failure. But everything's already backed up and safe, so I'm quite happy to just replace it.

But... I don't know how on earth I would go about doing that, or what I should be looking for when buying a new laptop hard drive, ie. what the difference is between a desktop HD and a laptop one.

So... Any advice?
  2. TheHawk

TheHawk TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 190   +6

Hey Partian Shot. A desktop drive is bigger and will generally have greater capacity. What is the make and model number of your laptop?. Do you have the Windows OS on a disk?
  3. Partian Shot

Partian Shot Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 73

Hi, it's a Dell 1747. And I don't think I do anymore.
  4. TheHawk

5. Partian Shot

6. TheHawk

So sorry for the delay, been under the weather the past few days. Your first link is for desktop drives,3.5"
    I did see some reviews where some people were stating that your particular drive died after some months to a year of use. The link below shows similar Seagate drives, however, if you don't have a Windows OS disk, you should be able to get a replacement/recovery disk from Dell as your system might have had an OS recovery procedure to create a disk and/or had a hidden recovery partition on your disk drive. The appropriate drivers for your system will be on the Dell website (the Dell Service Tag makes it easy).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=100007605 50001305&IsNodeId=1&name=Seagate
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. Partian Shot

8. TheHawk

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.