Replacing a "solo" core with dual core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell Inspiron E1505 has an Intel 1.66 Ghz/2 Mb/667 Mhz (T1300) solo core CPU. Last week my computer stopped booting (you can read my post about it under Mobile Computing) and I believe the problem is either the CPU or MoBo. I may end up replacing both. So my question is do I need to replace the CPU with a solo core with same specs or can I upgrade to a dual core CPU? It seems that it is not that easy locating an Intel CPU with same specs and solo core. Also, can I up my processor and/or bus speed and if so will a higher CFM fan be needed? Would it be better to try a new CPU and then MoBo (if CPU is not the problem), MoBo and then CPU, or just purchase a new MoBo with CPU included?

What version of Windows are you running? If you are using Windows XP, be advised that most likely you have a single-CPU kernel installed, and that while it will *work* with a dual-core CPU, it will not give you access to both cores. You'll need to replace the kernel or do a repair/reinstall to get access to both.

I am not sure if this is true for Windows Vista.

Also note that you'll probably want to call Dell and find out what CPUs your motherboard supports.

you will need the check the mobo manual and the bios to see if it supports a dual core cpu. Most single core mobos do not. There are a few that do however.

Thanks for the replies. I am running Windows XP. As far as calling Dell, well I have dealt with Dell over the phone several times before and have not yet had one that spoke English clearly and understandably, which I feel is real important when one is trying to troubleshoot a technical issue. Anyway, I now believe that my Mobo is shot as there appears to be burn/short marks around the Broadcom chip pins and splotches of what looks like liquid residue scattered around the board. Now what I need to decide is whether to have the Mobo repaired or buy a replacement. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back