Request

larafew

Hi,
I desperately need some help. I am not very clued up with computers and I am trying to fix my laptop and I have no idea what I am doing.
The audio in my laptop has just stopped working all of a sudden.
In Device Manager the Internal High Definition Audio Bus has a yellow question mark next to it and when I look in properties it tells me that there are no drivers for the audio device and it gives me Location 65535.
I have tried my best to fix this and/or find the drivers and I cant.
My laptop is an HP Compaq 6370b.
Please help me if you can.

Thanks.

I can't find the HP Compaq 6370b, is that mis-spelt and in fact the Hp Compaq 6730b?

If so, select your operating system from the list in this link, then download the audio driver and install it and see if that helps.

The link above is the manufacturer drivers list for that particular model. So it might be worth bookmarking it, if its the correct one.

If the model is incorrect, please tell us where in the world you are, so it can be narrowed down, and double check your model number.

Ok so firstly I did type that wrong, sorry about that it is 6730b, sorry about that.
Then I did download the audio drivers following the link that you sent me and it downloaded fine, got a desktop icon and everything but nothing has happened. When I open the icon on the desktop or the programme itself in my folder it tries to install again and tells me that the programme has already been installed and it wants to save the same thing over it.
So where do I go from here? What am I doing wrong? I'm sorry I am not very good at this.
Thanks

Could you tell us the Windows version your using please?

You will need to go to add/remove programs (click start, and its in control panel) and select the HD Audio, and then un-install it. Then reboot the laptop, and run the installation you downloaded again.

ok so I am using Windows XP. I dont have HD AUdio in add/remove programs.
I can un-install the HIgh Definition Audio Bus from the Devices menu but thats all I can find for Audio in add/remove programs,

If i may add some info (maybe) help

larafew's computer has Hi def Audio

> So by definition of Hi Def Sound
Windows <===> Audio Bus Controller <==> Hi Def Sound Card​

1. Audio Bus Controller appears as a System Device in Device Manager
2. Audio Bus Controller must work (including its driver) before Windows can see a Hi Def Sound Card
3. Are you running XP SP2 or SP3??
> SP2 requires an MS KB to install the MS UAA Bus Driver
> That driver should be included in the XP SP3 update

/* edit */
Statement in your first post makes me think is your Audio bus controller is the problem
In Device Manager the Internal High Definition Audio Bus has a yellow question mark next to it
Some sound card driver EXE files sometimes include a driver for Audio Bus as well as the Sound Card (but not all of them include the Audio Bus driver)

Ok thanks so much for your help but how do I find out if I am running a SP3 or an SP2?

and Leeky when I un-installed the High Definiton Audio and then rebooted it was still in Device Manager despite me un-installing it.

Hi Larafew

I looked at the handy link Leeky provided above. Note under Audio drivers they list 3 drivers:
> ONE for the audio bus controller
> and TWO driver versions for the sound card (the most recent version on top of the list dated 13 Feb 2009)

So... FIRST: Install their link for MS UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio

Does Internal High Definition Audio Bus still appear in DevMgr with yellow question mark? If yes, reboot and check again. (Once installed, it should appear under System Devices named "MS UAA Bus Driver")

Once the controller is working, windows might then see the sound card (which connects to the controller)

If still problems...

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Ok so I have definitely downloaded the US UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio but the Internal HIgh Definition Audio does still appear in the Device Manager with a yellow question despite rebooting twice. It definitely does not appear in System Devices.
(I dont know if this helps but also with a yellow question appears an Unknown Device and the Location that appears is on Intel (R) ICH9M LPC Interface controller).
When I typed in msinfo32 into Run, nothing happened, I tried several times but nothing came up at all.
I have attached the other file just like you instructed.
Thanks,

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    39.3 KB · Views: 1
1. fyi. You're running XP SP2. You should probably upgrade to SP3 sometime future (don't know that's an issue now. but fyi...can talk more about that later)

When I typed in msinfo32 into Run, nothing happened,
That typically means your Windows "PC Health" files are corrupt. Do you have your install CDs? To reinstall PC Health see here. Then retry msinfo32

3. Any chance you have an addon Hi-def grahpics and/or Sound card installed also?
As your dxdiag report seems to indicate an onboard audio controller is already installed
Code:
     Name: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_360E103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&D8
   Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\hdaudbus.sys, 5.10.0001.5013 (English), 1/8/2005 02:07:18, 138752 bytes
The "8086" for the Vendor ID (VEN_8086) tells me this is an Intel chip so must be the onboard sound controller
If you rt click the one you see with yellow question mark, click Properties, Details tab. I'd guess the ID has a different 4 digit number PCI/VEN_xxxx? Let me know.

4. Look in Device Manager under System Devices, Do you find MS UAA Bus Driver listed there? Rt click Uninstall, then reboot. This can force Windows to at redetect the onboard soundcard attached to the controller

If still issues, let's try an Everest report
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Multimedia
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

/* edit */
just to clarify #4. Uninstalling MS UAA Bus Driver then rebooting: windows will reinstall the driver for the controller on reboot which also makes it go looking for the attached sound card as well. If you downloaded the sound drivers already, (we'd hope) windows would find the sound drivers and install them if it now detects the onboard sound card

One more add on thought... if still problematic... you should reinstall the chipset drivers as well (is worth the shot)

as i recall the driver link there are two chipset driver packages to install (the two on top of the chipset driver list were the current ones if i remember it correctly)

Ok first I dont have the install CD's so cant reinstall PC Health.
then for question three when I click on the two items with question marks these are the details I get
1. Audio device on high definition audio bus-
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&SUBSYS_103C360E&REV_1004\4&12E81738&0&0001
2. Uknown device -ACPI\IFX0102\4&B310638&0

Then I dont have an MS UAA Bus Driver listed in System Devices

I have attached the Everest Report to this message.

Thanks

Attachments

• Report 2.txt
    171.8 KB · Views: 2
1. Audio device on high definition audio bus-
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&SUBSYS_103C360E&REV_1004\4&12E81738&0&000 1
2. Uknown device -ACPI\IFX0102\4&B310638&0
Thanks for providing that detail with all those cryptic strings!! (if msinfo32 was working, it would have done the job for you)
Re: the “Unknown device” - Try installing the Intel TPM chipset driver on HP site

Re: HDAUDIO device is the sound card. Try reinstalling the audio driver from HP site BUT FIRST: Look in Ctl Panel->Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall Soundmax before you try reinstalling Soundmax

If HDAUDIO device is still a problem, in DevMgr, rt click Properties, on General tab tell me the 2 digit error Code that appears​

And re: MS UAA Bus Driver. Sorry, maybe confusion as I abbreviated the "MS".

Do you see Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio under Device Manager System Devices category? (see below, since Everest Report is reporting it there too!) If still problem after reinstalling Soundmax, use Device Manager to uninstall it. Rt click on it in DevMgr->Uninstall the UAA Bus Driver. Reboot

/* edit */
Also, to cover all bases, if problems, also see instructions toward top of this post to make sure unsigned drivers aren't being blocked (just in case the HDAUDIO driver is unsigned).
Code:
    System devices:
      ACPI Fan                                          5.1.2600.2180
      ACPI Fixed Feature Button                         5.1.2600.2180
      ACPI Lid                                          5.1.2600.2180
      ACPI Sleep Button                                 5.1.2600.2180
      ACPI Thermal Zone                                 5.1.2600.2180
      Direct memory access controller                   5.1.2600.2180
      Extended IO Bus                                   5.1.2600.2180
      High precision event timer                        5.1.2600.2180
      HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor                  1.10.1.5
      Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448                  5.1.2600.2180
      Intel(R) 82802 Firmware Hub Device                5.1.2600.2180
      Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 29408.6.1.1002
      Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 29428.6.1.1002
      Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 29448.6.1.1002
      Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 29488.6.1.1002
      Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 294A8.6.1.1002
      Intel(R) ICH9M LPC Interface Controller - 2919    8.6.1.1002
      ISAPNP Read Data Port                             5.1.2600.2180
      Logical Disk Manager                              5.1.2600.2180
      Microcode Update Device                           5.1.2600.2180
      Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller      5.1.2535.0
      Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System                   5.1.2535.0
      Microsoft Composite Battery                       5.1.2535.0
      Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver           5.1.2600.2180
      Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio5.10.0.5010
      Microsoft Windows Management Interface for ACPI   5.1.2535.0
      Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Series Processor to DRAM Controller - 2A408.7.0.1007
      Motherboard resources                             5.1.2600.2180
      Motherboard resources                             5.1.2600.2180
      Numeric data processor                            5.1.2600.2180
      PCI bus                                           5.1.2600.2180
      Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator          5.1.2600.2180
      Printer Port Logical Interface                    5.1.2600.2180
      Programmable interrupt controller                 5.1.2600.2180
      System CMOS/real time clock                       5.1.2600.2180
      System timer                                      5.1.2600.2180
      Terminal Server Device Redirector                 5.1.2600.2180
      Terminal Server Keyboard Driver                   5.1.2600.2180
      Terminal Server Mouse Driver                      5.1.2600.2180
      Volume Manager                                    5.1.2600.2180

Oh. Unrelated to your sound problem, I just happened to notice this in Everest
Code:
Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2928
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D
      Disk Drive                                        TOSHIBA MK2552GSX  (232 GB, IDE)
      Optical Drive                                     TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAIL
SMART Failure?

Those are disk drive sensors. Are you having disk problems? Install CrystalDiskInfo. Does it report your disk drive Health Status as Good? Warning? or Bad? And, actually, if your disk is going bad, would explain the sudden problem. And do you have all your personal data backed up?

ok firstly you are a genius.secondly I have sound!!!! you amazing person. Thank you so very much, as soon as I installed Soundmax everything worked again.
The unknown device is still there despite me installing the sound card. Dont know if that mea ns anything.
And when I installed CrystalDiskInfo it said Caution as my health status. What should I do about that?
And no I actually didnt have anything backed up but since your post I have backed everything up onto my external, is that ok?
Again, thank you SO very much, I could never done this without you.

WooHoo! Glad to hear your sound is fixed! :grinthumb Glad to help :)

That's the good news.

And when I installed CrystalDiskInfo it said Caution as my health status.
The bad news is your hard drive is going bad and starting to fail (it quite possibly why your audio suddenly failed and PC Health files are now corrupt). You'll need to replace the drive.

But given the current state of things, you're best to reinstall Windows (and all your other stuff) on the new drive. That'll mean you need XP reinstall discs! Best bet is probably contacting HP support and paying a fee to get installation discs. (or taking it to a local shop to both replace the drive and do the Windows reinstall for you) In the meantime, be cautious and continue to backup your stuff daily as drive data may continue to go bad or drive completely fail and Windows may not boot

ok so I should jus go to a computer shop and get them to replace the hard drive? How much do you think that should cost? Is there any specific shop that I should go to?

Dont suppose you do stuff like this?So I could just bring it to you?

Hi Larafew

Dont suppose you do stuff like this?So I could just bring it to you?
Thanks for your vote of trust but I don't really do that vs. just providing "cyber" support as time allows

You could consider doing it yourself but sounds like might be best to just go to a local shop to replace the drive and reinstall Windows.

> You probably want to get your own HP XP install CDs (whether to give to the tech or to have for yourself in the future). The link (if still current) indicates the disks are about $16.

My guess is you'd need a 2.5" SATA notebook drive. (But double check that yourself before buying anything). Don't know what size disk you have now or how fast it is but it's probably the usual 5400RPM. Check with your local computer store is best i think to confirm the type of drive and price but i'd GUESS a 250GB 5400RPM drive might be around $100.

If you wanted more specific info/opinions about the drive and hardware and stuff you'd be best to start a new thread to ask about replacing your drive (i'm much more a software then hardware guy)

You could also just call a couple places (are you in Chicago???) give them your model and tell them you need a new drive and Windows reinstalled (and see if you can first get those reinstall disks yourself). They should be able to give you pretty firm estimates for the work and the parts

Wa ha ha that is hysterical. I am in South Africa where things like decent computer shops are few and far between.
And here I was thinking my biggest problem was if you lived in Durban or Cape Town.
So I guess thats a definite no for bringing it to you......but thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it.
You should invite me on facebook, if thats chilled?

You're most welcome. Glad to try and help :)

Re: Facebook. I think i must be one of the last holdouts who still doesn't have a Facebook account!

Happy Computing :)

Back